Image 01 Image 03

Sexual Assault Tag

Do you remember back in 2014 a story that popped up about power director Bryan Singer, the man behind X-Men and The Usual Suspects? A male actor claimed that Singer hosted orgies where men and the director repeatedly raped him as a minor. Sources told TMZ that these types of orgies are common. Author Bret Easton Ellis said he knew all about Singer’s parties with boys and powerful men for years because he dated a man who participated and other gay men told him all about the parties at a dinner party in 2007. Ever since the fall of Harvey Weinstein and others, I've been wondering and hoping Bryan Singer's name would pop up again. It finally has. A man has sued Singer for allegedly raping him in 2003 when he was only 17-years-old.

Demands for answers have been shouted out almost every day since The Washington Post reported how the Office of Compliance for Congress has shelled out over $17 million for 264 settlements and award over various violations. This includes sexual harassment. The Ethics Committee promised to get to the bottom of it as shouts of 'unseal the deals' rung out. They're having trouble, though, because the Office of Compliance isn't cooperating and withholding important details.

Up until Wednesday, the Democrat talking points on Franken's many alleged sexual misdoings were: 1) he made a "mistake" and 2) what Franken (allegedly) did was not nearly as bad as other recently unmasked sexual predators. The second may be true, but that doesn't make Franken's alleged actions (see also: allegedly sticking his tongue down a woman's throat without consent) excusable.

On Tuesday, disgraced Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) retired after numerous women accused him of sexual misconduct. He faced an investigation by the ethics committee and calls from colleagues to resign. New accusations may have been the tipping point. Today, The Washington Post reported a former intern claimed Conyers "brought up the then-developing investigation into the disappearance of former federal intern Chandra Levy" when she turned down his sexual advances.

Embattled Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) has told a Detroit radio station that he will not seek re-election and endorses his son John Conyers III to replace him in Congress. From CNN:
"I am retiring today. And I want everyone to know how much I appreciate the support that...incredible, undiminished support I've received across the years of my supporters, not only in my district but across the country as well," Conyers said.
Conyers is facing numerous allegations of sexual assault and harassment from former female employees. Another woman spoke up last night and claimed Conyers groped her in church.

In the wake of the recent spate of sexual offense allegations, particularly against politicians such as Roy Moore, "credible" and "credibly" have become the latest buzzwords. Take this Politico piece, for example, written by a former Bush speechwriter named Matt Latimer [emphasis mine]:
In the wake of the Roy Moore fiasco, a number of “hot takes” have made their rounds in the media. How obviously hypocritical it is, for example, for evangelical leaders to stand behind a man credibly accused of sexually assaulting a minor...

Ever since The Washington Post posted about the Office of Compliance doling out $17 million since 1997 to settle different violations across the Hill everyone has demanded the government unseal the deals. Slowly it's been happening! Politico has now reported that Rep. Blake Farenthold paid $84,000 towards a sexual harassment settlement in 2014.

Earlier this week, I reviewed that cases of California politicians who were charged with sexual harassment by numerous women who work with the state Assembly and Senate in Sacramento. I must admit, I was a little surprised that some comments seemed to indicate we were facing a new millennium version of the Salem Witch Trials. Therefore, I would like to offer another analogy.

A little too late, Nancy! Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) has finally called for disgraced Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) to resign due to several sexual misconduct claims. What a quick 180 considering on Meet The Press on Sunday she defended Conyers and implied she didn't believe the victims. Politico has reported that Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-SC) has also said that Conyers needs to step down, just days after he lashed out at the victims. This news comes after Conyers' family revealed he is in the hospital for a stress-related illness. The family spokesman lashed out at Conyers' victims along with other women who have used the #MeToo hashtag to tell their stories of assault.