“Security officials in Gaza said the explosion came as a result of a technical error when militants were preparing an explosive device.”
There are numerous reports of an explosion at the home of a senior Palestinian terrorist in southern Gaza resulting from a so-called “work accident.”
The Times of Israel reports:
Separately on Saturday evening, five people were injured in an explosion in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip, the Hamas-run health ministry said.
Local media reported the blast emanated from the home of Mohammed Talal Al-Ajani, the Rafah Brigade commander of the Popular Resistance Committees, a Gaza terror group. The explosion, apparently triggered by explosives, was said to have caused a fire and damage to neighboring buildings.
There have been conflicting reports as to the number injured. The Jerusalem Post reports that only two people were taken to the hospital.
China’s Xinhua News Agency reports:
At least four Palestinians were injured on Saturday evening in an accidental explosion that wrecked three houses in the southern Gaza Strip town of Rafah, medics, security officials and eyewitnesses said.
Four residents of Rafah town were moderately injured in the blast, said Ashraf al-Qedra, health ministry spokesman in Gaza.
Eyewitnesses said rescue teams are still searching for survivors, while police and security forces have closed the area and launched immediate investigation.
Security officials in Gaza said the explosion came as a result of a technical error when militants were preparing an explosive device.
Hamas reportedly has clamped down on local reporting on the explosion.
Nonetheless, there have been images and video posted on social media, which are not independently confirmed:. .
If as reports indicate, this was an accidental explosion while handling explosives, it would qualify as a so-called “work accident.” That term is a commonly used to refer to Palestinian terrorists who die by their own hand when explosives or explosive devices they are handling detonate prematurely, or when a tunnel they are constructing collapses.
We have covered many such incidents:
- Senior Hamas terrorist Imad al-Alami *accidentally* shoots himself in the head
- Hamas explosives chief accidentally blows himself up
- Palestinian rocket commander ‘accidentally’ blows himself up
- Hamas terrorist killed when attack tunnel collapses on him
- Gaza: Two PFLP terrorists killed when rocket they were firing exploded prematurely
- Hamas Bomb Expert Blows Himself Up
- Hamas Commander killed at Gaza border when ‘hand grenade’ exploded prematurely
- Hamas member killed in “accidental explosion during preparation and training”
- Hamas tunnel engineer “working on a tunnel underneath his home when it collapsed and killed him”
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.