This is not one of those heavy year-end posts.
You want a heavy year-end post, then re-read my post from last year, New Year’s Thanks.
Some quick observations, in no particular order:
1. Our traffic was up year-over-year, by over 700,000 page views, thanks to a strong start of the year. According to Statcounter, we’ll end this year just under 18 million page views. It was nice to see that we made the PJ Media list of Top 50 Conservative Websites.
But sometime around April/May it was as if someone blew a whistle and things started to slow down. I have no explanation for it, but I’ve heard similar tales from other conservative websites. Combined with the collapse in digital advertising, it has stressed almost to the breaking point our ability to continue doing what we do.
It may be happening to liberal websites too, but I wouldn’t hear it. I do know that our Google search traffic is down almost 70% this December compared to last December. Our posts, which used to show up alongside the big players on pages 1-2, now often are nowhere to be found. Not even on page (infinity). I can’t prove it’s ideologically motivated, but just because we’re paranoid doesn’t mean people aren’t out to get us.
2. I continue to be amazed and appalled at the behavior of #TheResistance. Social media is the pits. The lies that get spread by supposedly reputable people are appalling. Jonathan Turley recently had a column calling out the shameful legal quackery (my term) being spread with regard to supposed Russia collusion and impeachment.
Against this onslaught of truly fake news, Trump has outperformed expectations. I really don’t think there is anyone else who could have withstood the attempted slow coup to unwind the election. As I stated in my Post of Dread, I do think we are living in very dangerous times for our liberty and institutions, and I’m constantly thinking how to live after a collapse.
3. The passage of the tax bill is a turning point. It will prove to be the game changer for 2018 and 2020, in a positive way. I have no idea whether it will help me personally or not. But even if I end up paying more taxes, it’s worth it because I think it will help the economy. Big League. And the Democrats know it and are scared to death.
4. I’ve mostly stayed away from attacking Republican #NeverTrumpers. But the behavior of some (not all) of them is as appalling as that of #TheResistance. Indeed, they are an invaluable part of #TheResistance, because they give “Republican” cover to the anti-Trump lunacy. There is a cottage industry of Republicans whose careers now are tied to being the Republican at NY Times/MSNBC/CNN/YouNameIt who reliably will bash Trump in such outlandish terms it makes even Rachel Maddow blush. Whether they started with noble intentions or not, they now are ignoble.
5. My family health situation is no better. It’s been a very difficult year. But we’re not giving up, and I try to be strong for my wife, as I know she would be for me if the situations were reversed.
6. This is Legal Insurrection’s 10th year. I can’t believe it. This was started on a challenge. If only I never had that argument over dinner ….
7. Thank you to the authors who have worked so hard to keep the content flowing even though I’ve been away more than usual. We’ve had a shrinkage in the number regular contributors, so more burden has fallen on others.
8. Thank you also to the readers, who have managed to keep it “relatively” sane in an insane political environment. Thanks also to those who contributed to the recent fundraiser and past fundraisers, both for the financial support and the votes of confidence those dollars represent.
9. What’s to come for us? I don’t know, I’m just trying to get through the day.
Happy and Healthy New Year to all the Legal Insurrection family.DONATE
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.