Image 01 Image 03

Israeli victim of 2016 New Year’s Day terrorist shooting returns to scene

Israeli victim of 2016 New Year’s Day terrorist shooting returns to scene

In memory of Alon Bakal and Shimon Ruimi, killed in the Simta Bar shooting January 1, 2016.

On January 1, 2016, we covered the breaking news of a terrorist shooting on a busy street and shopping area in Tel Aviv, Shooting attack on Tel Aviv cafes:

At least two people were killed in a terror attack on cafes in the heart of Tel Aviv.

The gunman purchased goods at a store then pulled out what is described as a submachine gun and started firing, before escaping.

Details on the gunman are still developing, but the latest reports indicate he was an Israeli Arab from northern Israel. Police are not clear on the motive for the attack, and whether it was what Israelis term “nationalistic” in motive.

This video fro inside a cafe showed the gunman shooting:

We updated throughout the day, including when the gunman was identified as Nashat Milhem, an Arab Israeli from northern Israel, sparking a nationwide manhunt:

Two people were killed, including Alon Bakal.

[Alon Bakal]

And Shimon Ruimi.

[Shimon Ruimi]

A week later the terrorist was shot and killed when located near his home village, Terrorist from Tel Aviv attack killed in northern Israel:

Today in Israel, January 1, 2017, one of the shooting victims who survived returned to the scene, as Ynet News reports:

One year later, Ariel Nusbecher—who was at the bar celebrating his birthday—returned to celebrate his 32nd birthday on Friday at the same place on 122 Dizengoff Street to demonstrate his defiance against the cruelties of terror.

At around 2:40pm on January, 1 2016 Nashat Milhem, an Arab-Israeli terrorist living in Ar’ara arrived at the vibrant scene before opening fire on random civilians, killing Alon Bakal, 26 who was the manager of the Simta bar, and Shimon Ruimi, 30, from Ofakim.

Both victims were close friends of Ariel’s, who himself was shot in the stomach and moderately wounded in the hit. Seven others were injured in the attack while Amin Shaaban, a taxi driver was found murdered on Weizman Street in north Tel Aviv as Milhem fled the scene.

Unphased however, and resolute in his refusal to enable terror to dictate his daily life, Ariel managed to overcome the harrowing images indelibly etched into his memory and return to the once-macaber spot and transform it yet again into a scene of joy and celebration as he embraced his 33rd year in the world.

Moreover, Ariel and his friends lit together the Hunukkah candles, marking its penultimate night.

“It was strange because of what we experienced there on my birthday a year ago,” Ariel told Yedioth Ahronoth, Ynet’s sister print publication. “A childhood friend of mine was killed. Shimmy,” he said, referring to Ruimi, “would have wanted us to celebrate this way.”

As in all the other terror attacks we have covered, life goes on in Israel after death.

Six months later, another cafe in Tel Aviv would be attacked, Gunmen Kill 4 at Tel Aviv Market:


Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.