Image 01 Image 03

“#Ferguson” Takes Top Spot for Most-Tweeted Story

“#Ferguson” Takes Top Spot for Most-Tweeted Story

Hashtags can become movements

Over the past year, we’ve provided extensive coverage of the controversy surrounding the death of Michael Brown, the grand jury’s decision to not indict Darren Wilson, and the ensuing fallout, riots, and protests that wracked cities all across America. What started out as a local controversy turned into a national discussion, which subsequently morphed into a national protest and social media movement that endures even as 2014 comes to a close.

It’s official: “#Ferguson” was the most tweeted news story of 2014.

Via Mediaite:

Digital research firm Echelon Insights has put together an infographic that charts the year in news as seen through 185 million Twitter mentions. And between the initial protests that followed Brown’s death and the grand jury decision months later that cleared Officer Wilson of any charges, #Ferguson was far and away the most talked-about event of the year:


Midterm Election Day created the second-biggest spike, followed by the State of the Union and the Donald Sterling L.A. Clippers controversy.

The firm also broke down Twitter mention by political leaning and found that while conservatives had more to say about Benghazi, guns, Iraq and Ebola, liberals were more likely to talk about Chris Christie, Obamacare, Ferguson/Eric Garner and the midterm elections. But regardless of political persuasion, the most-talked about politician for both sides, by far, was President Barack Obama.

The Ferguson Grand Jury decision didn’t just win—it won by a mile, and I think that’s a testament to how race-obsessed Americans were forced to become this year. I say “forced to become” because I don’t believe that “#Ferguson” rose organically as a movement on its own merits. We already know that the professional race hustlers did everything they could to encourage and incite an “us vs. them” mentality within the black community, Occupy got involved on nearly every level of organization, and that the Palestinian BDS movement glommed on to the Ferguson and anti-police protests across the country; I’m confident that more will be revealed regarding the who and what behind the movement that captivated my Twitter timeline for almost 5 months.

A manufactured movement it may be, but it is a movement nonetheless.


Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.



Of all the absurdities related to this, the funniest is probably the fact that the criminal savage Michael Brown has to be the single most unsympathetic character the Democrats could possibly have chosen to rally behind.

You’d think, in a nation of 320 million people (if you count the 30+ illegal aliens that have invaded us) that CNN and Al Sharpton could find just ONE case where the black person killed by someone that happened to be white was actually a VICTIM of a crime and not a criminal perpetrator who chose to assault someone willing and able to defend themselves.

But, no.

Apparently, we’re such a “racist” nation that such events don’t actually happen at all. So, they make them up. Fabricate the story they want out of whole cloth, and then refuse to accept the actual facts in the case as they are revealed.

    Ragspierre in reply to Aarradin. | December 30, 2014 at 5:51 am

    Let’s not get silly here.

    93% of black murder victims are killed by blacks. That leaves 7% who are killed by another race, and white people DO victimize black people.

    Now, is there a valid trend shown by the celebrated (and they WERE celebrated by some people) killings of Martin, Brown, Garner, etc.?

    No. Certainly not. In fact, the REAL trend is fewer killings by LEOs of ANYBODY, and less homicide in general.

    So your larger point is sound.

“A manufactured movement it may be, but it is a movement nonetheless.”

There’s a new advertising campaign for Ex-Lax in there somewhere…

Interesting, and conclusions can certainly be drawn from it, but keep in mind that this is a reflection of Twitter traffic, and people who use Twitter are part of a very specific subset of humanity. First of all, they’re usually comparatively young. Second, they like to thrust their opinions before an unseen public, so make of that what you will.

Not A Member of Any Organized Political | December 30, 2014 at 4:32 pm

What is the life of a half-Twit…er I mean Tweet…..?

Gotta be less than half a second.