Ebola’s Real Risks Get Lost in Media’s Rush to Panic and Politicize
NYT asserts that efforts to contain Ebola may have been hindered by USAID cuts.
Earlier this week, my colleague Mary Chastain reported that the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda a global health emergency due to 300 cases and 88 deaths.
There have been some fascinating developments related to that announcement. To begin with, NPR is reporting that this particular strain of Ebola is problematic because it lacks treatments, and the case numbers may be larger than reported.
First, this strain does not have vaccines or specific treatments.
Second, this outbreak took a while to detect and has already crossed borders and spread to several big cities, including to Kampala, the capital of neighboring Uganda, and to the regional hub of Goma in the DRC.
“To discover so many patients in so many different cities and towns so far away from each other, it tells me this has been going on for a while,” says Bhadelia. “In many cases, when patients passed away their bodies were transported back to the homeland as would be expected culturally to be buried in their homeland.” She worries about how those bodies were handled and whether more people were exposed to the virus in that process.
Third, the case count is growing rapidly and a lot of the tests are coming back positive for Ebola, suggesting the outbreak may be far bigger than what’s been detected.
The World Health Organization has declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern as a rare Ebola strain spreads across Central Africa.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has officially declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a… pic.twitter.com/k72TpCaE7P
— Massimo (@Rainmaker1973) May 19, 2026
Presently, there are 600 cases being reported, with 139 deaths. Two Americans have been flown to facilities in Europe for monitoring after being exposed to the pathogen.
Meanwhile, an American missionary who contracted the virus while treating patients in Congo has been admitted to a specialist hospital in Germany, that country’s health ministry told NBC News on Wednesday.
Dr. Peter Stafford, 39, is now at Berlin’s Charité hospital, where he is being treated in an isolation ward in the department of Infectious Diseases and Intensive Care Medicine, the ministry said. He had unknowingly operated on a patient with Ebola before the outbreak was detected, according to leaders of Serge, the Christian missionary group he works for.
Also flown to Germany were his wife, Rebekah Stafford, 38, who is also a doctor and treated the same patient, as well as their four young children, Serge said Wednesday.
Another physician, Patrick LaRochelle, 46, is thought to have been exposed through a second patient and is being flown from Congo to Bulovka Hospital, in the Czech capital Prague, according to Serge.
Ebola death toll rises as two Americans are flown to Europe for monitoring https://t.co/EAQitJn33I
— Michael F Ozaki MD (@brontyman) May 20, 2026
Congo has canceled a three-day World Cup preparation training camp in the capital, Kinshasa, due to the Ebola outbreak.
Congo are scheduled to play World Cup-warmup games against Denmark in Liege, Belgium on June 3 and Chile in southern Spain on June 9. Both matches are going ahead as planned, team spokesman Jerry Kalemo told The Associated Press on Wednesday.
“There were three stages of preparation: in Kinshasa to say goodbye to the public, Belgium and Spain with two friendly matches against Denmark in Liege and Chile in Spain, and the third stage from June 11 in Houston, United States. Only one stage was cancelled — the one in Kinshasa,” Kalemo said.
All of the Congo players and the team’s French coach, Sébastien Desabre, are based outside of the central African country with most of them playing in France.
Scoop: The DR Congo World Cup team has cancelled the Kinshasa portion of its pre-tournament training, but it still plans to travel to Europe for training and to the U.S. and Mexico for its World Cup matches in Houston, Guadalajara & Atlanta. https://t.co/D9Se0DUvsu
— Sophia Cai (@SophiaCai99) May 19, 2026
Finally, and laughably, The New York Times and other “news” organizations are blaming the U.S. and its gutting of USAID and leaving the WHO for this particular outbreak.
The Ebola crisis in East Africa is rapidly escalating, with cases now confirmed in major population centers in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. Public health experts around the world and health workers on the ground say that the response has been significantly hindered by the near-absence so far of the United States, historically the leader in any major outbreak.
The United States used to fund robust disease surveillance networks across the region and maintained emergency teams to take charge in public health crises like this one. Much of that work ended with the shutdown of the U.S. Agency for International Development early last year. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has also lost hundreds of experts, including some in the Democratic Republic of Congo, who could have helped contain the epidemic.
Epidemiologists and others who worked on previous Ebola outbreaks say that the fact that this one came to international attention weeks, or perhaps months, after it began and had already spread across international borders, is a direct result of the weakened surveillance.
American officials did not learn of the outbreak until Thursday, nine days after the World Health Organization did, and almost a month after the first person died. The delay in confirming the outbreak was in part because samples were taken to the national lab in Kinshasa, Congo, at the wrong temperature. That task previously would have been managed by U.S.A.I.D.
“USAID-funded programs that monitored and prevented the spread of Ebola were cut by the Trump Administration. These health security programs protected Americans and kept diseases from reaching our shores. Now, we’re lacking defenses during a dangerous outbreak.” –@SenatorShaheen https://t.co/ZRotDNdnRl
— Senate Foreign Relations Committee (@SFRCdems) May 18, 2026
If this particular outbreak underscores anything, it is that while Ebola deserves serious attention, the now-predictable cycle of media amplification and narrative-building is already in full swing.
We have seen this movie before, most recently with the breathless hantavirus coverage that generated far more anxiety than actual risk to the broader public.
A dangerous, poorly tracked outbreak in Central Africa is not trivial, but neither is it an excuse for speculative worst-case framing or politically convenient blame-shifting.
Clear-eyed reporting, grounded in facts rather than fear, would do far more to inform the public than the now-routine rush to manufacture urgency and assign culpability before the full picture is even known.
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.






Comments
Shouldn’t this be a problem for the nations of Africa to address? When you cannot take a blood sample and test for Ebola correctly, that’s your problem, not ours. Why is it that the US is the crutch for the world? Can’t they stand on their own?
“When you cannot take a blood sample and test for Ebola correctly, that’s your problem, not ours.”
But you can always find an H1-B opportunity at DC’s wastewater department!
Fer fuggs eggs!
It’s not US’s responsibility to control an outbreak of a disease in Angola.
We’re not the world’s cops OR the world’s ATM!
“He had unknowingly operated on a patient with Ebola before the outbreak was detected,”
So, his sterile technique allowed him to catch something from his patient, but his patient still needn’t worry about the risk of catching something from him?
Despite all the years that have gone by, and all the scary books and all the scary movies… Ebola outbreaks, which started in Uganda and the Congo, are still restricted to Uganda and the Congo, and that’s not because they or WHO does such a great job in handling these “epidemics”.
A horrific disease, certainly, which poses essentially no risks to the world at large. Like all the other fear porn diseases.
The world “public health” people shot their wad with covid.
Bull excrement! WHO is still funded by *MULTIPLE* international partners who slavishly report everything to CDC because of existing bioweapons treaties and are still required to do so by multiple layers of international treaties. WHO is NOT the be-all, end-all of international health reporting organizations! The International Red Cross/Red Crescent has been a FAR MORE reliable partner than WHO because it is focused on providing assessing, planning, and delivering care where it is needed. The rest is just Claus von Bullscheisse’s WEF’s crap!
Debra Birx, the Covid Scarf Lady, remember her? said in a recent interview that the outbreak in DRC was the result of the protocols that had been set in place by international agencies had not been practiced. They got careless and sloppy IOW (washing the dead for instance). Still, it’s not our problem. The media would like to make it our problem.
Since we control the weather, banking, all global events and evil in general I’m guessing it’s the Jews fault. Did the NYT say so yet? I’ll have to wait for confirmation from their embedded Hamas journalists. Until then I’ll be busy controlling all of your minds.
Damn your eyes! So you admit it’s you. schmuul, who took down the noble Massie!
WHO, along with multiple other international organizations, have enjoyed being funded mostly by the United States while being less than cooperative a partner with us in many cases. Now they’re saying their problems are caused by the US. If they’re adults, they can figure things out themselves.
They bit the hand that fed them.
.
Where are the European countries? Where is Canada? Why on earth does anyone think they can badmouth us continually, stab us in the back and spit on our flag and then demand that we play caretaker to the world?
WHO has 194 member states. They’d better get busy because we’re no longer carrying their load.
The world hates us . . . until it needs us for something.
“Death to America”. “Great Satan”. These 3rd world s**t hole countries hate us and blame us for their troubles, and then come crying and whining for help when their own abilities, predictably, fail in a crisis. They behave like the s**t hole cities here do.
The population of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is approximately 117.5 million, while the Republic of the Congo has around 6.3 million people, and Uganda has a population of roughly 53.2 million as of 2026.
600 confirmed cases is like 0.0003% of the population affected. If there are 10 times the reported number it is still only a 0.003% infection rate. Really not a statistically significant disease, and this is a month after the first death was reported. While horrible if you get it, does not seem like this is a world wide threat.
Zoonotic originated diseases tend to be possibly virulent but are not casually transmitted human to human. This is because the human internal environment is different from the environment in which the zoonotic virus evolved. (Some experts will have us believe that COVID-19 was the first (and only) zoonotic virus that was human ready from the get go and so highly transmittable human to human.)
I read in the Guardian that the guy condemning the Trump and the US for “abandoning” Africa is Kristian “tenure here I come” Andersen — notorious for helping shut down the Wuhan lab COVID connection at the behest of Fauci ,while having a major grant proposal sitting on Fauci’s desk. He’s from Denmark. Why not accuse the EU, Denmark, France, Germany, GB? How about China? Russia? African nations? When did other nations’ disease outbreaks become America’s problem?
Leave a Comment