The FBI, with the Health and Human Services (HHS), raided the home of Amelou Gill and Gladwin Gill, a doctor and a nurse, in Southern California over accusations that they committed $7 million in hospice fraud.
According to J.D. Vance, the FBI conducted additional raids in the area. In total, they nabbed people who allegedly stole over $50 million.
The agents had to saw through metal gates to enter the property.
St. Francis Palliative Care in Anaheim, which the Gills operate, has a 2.3% mortality rate over the last five years.
It’s odd when a hospice center has a 97% survival rate because people usually enter hospice at the end of a terminal illness.
The Fox News report said the accusations claim the Gills are not qualified to receive people for hospice care. They allegedly charged $30,000 a patient.
“They’ve been bilking the taxpayers for over seven million dollars, close to eight million dollars, and it’s total fraudulent hospice services,” Bill Essayli, United States Attorney for the Central District of California, told Fox News. “They were signing up people who are not terminally ill, they were forging the documents, the medical records, and they were collecting taxpayer dollars. And they’ve been charged, and this morning, they were arrested.”
Last week, the House Oversight Committee launched an investigation into hospice fraud in California.
The investigation opened after CBS News and Nick Shirley blew the lid off a week before.
CBS News discovered that 700 of the 1800 hospices in Los Angeles County raised red flags with the state auditors.
It’s been going on for years:
In 2022, California’s state auditor sounded the alarm as LA County saw a 1,500% increase in hospice companies since 2010.In a letter to Democratic California Gov. Gavin Newsom and state legislators dated March 29, 2022, the California state auditor flagged that there had been “a rapid increase in the number of hospice agencies with no clear correlation to increased need.”
Shirley discovered that two facilities charged $6,000 per person.
Another hospice received $1.3 million. Shirley found the location empty. No employees. No equipment. No furniture.
Let’s not forget the massive fraud coming out of Minnesota.
These allegations led to President Donald Trump establishing an anti-fraud task force led by Vice President JD Vance.
“So what this executive order does is force the entire apparatus of the federal government to do two things: stop the fraud in the American taxpayer and make sure that the benefits that ought, by right, go to American citizens, go to American citizens, and not to fraudsters,” Vance said at the signing.
CLICK HERE FOR FULL VERSION OF THIS STORY