“We’re talking about college-level pre-calculus and calculus classes, and students cannot even add one-half and one-third.”
I bet every one of these students struggling with math is completely up to speed on equity, gender, social justice, etc.
FOX News reports:
College students are struggling with basic math, many stuck at 9th grade level; professors blame the pandemic
Many students who lacked hands-on, in-person teachings due to the coronavirus pandemic and subsequent lockdowns and school closures are now struggling with basic math at the college level, according to some professors.
“Years of academy training wasted,” Buzz Lightyear once famously said, but that fictitious line is now the reality for students at George Mason University, Temple University and other colleges across the country who once excelled at math and have been forced to relearn the basics as pandemic schooling failed to reinforce their learning.
Other schools are grappling with the same problem as academic setbacks from the pandemic have followed students to campus. At many universities, engineering and biology majors struggle to grasp basic functions such as fractions and exponents.
Some students are even being placed into pre-college math, starting a semester or more behind their programs’ requirements. Others are taking proactive action to avoid potential setbacks.
George Mason University said an alarming number of students were arriving with gaps in their math skills, and fewer students are getting into calculus — the first college-level course for some majors — and more are failing. Students who fall behind often disengage, disappearing from class.
“This is a huge issue,” Maria Emelianenko, chair of George Mason’s math department, told The Associated Press. “We’re talking about college-level pre-calculus and calculus classes, and students cannot even add one-half and one-third.”
The issue became so prevalent that the northern Virginia school is hosting a week-long Math Boot Camp to help catch students up on math lessons that did not stick during pandemic schooling.
[Added by FS: Who could have seen maths illiteracy coming? Oh, right, everyone.]
- Feds Spend Over $1 Million Training Social Justice Math Teachers
- Oregon Department of Education Promotes Program to ‘Dismantle Racism’ in Mathematics
- California State Board of Ed Dumbing Down K-12 Math Curriculum to Ensure “Equitable Outcomes”
- A “mania has taken over academia where every issue, including math, revolves around race and the patriarchy”
- Math “White Cisheteropatriarchy” Word Salad By Vanderbilt Prof Is What Gets Rewarded In Academia
- Report: Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Pushing ‘Anti-Racist’ Initiative in Math
- Mockery Ensues After USA Today Publishes Ludicrous Article Asking ‘Is Math Racist?’
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.