Police Knew About MSU Shooter, Progressive Prosecutor’s Soft-on-Crime Approach Kept Him on the Street
“The initial charge was a felony that carried a potential penalty of five years in prison, according to the records.”
While you hear the leftists and Democrats scream about gun control, remember this. Their policies kept the Michigan State University gunman on the street.
Anthony McRae killed three people on Monday night and injured five others. He killed himself off-campus.
McRae shouldn’t have been on the street, but Ingham County’s progressive prosecutor at the time, with ties to George Soros, went soft on him in 2019:
Anthony McRae was arrested in Lansing and charged in June 2019 with carrying a concealed pistol without a concealed carry permit, according to Ingham County court records obtained Tuesday by The Detroit News. The initial charge was a felony that carried a potential penalty of five years in prison, according to the records.
At about 3 a.m. June 7, 2019, an officer encountered Anthony McRae in Lansing where the officer asked him if he had any weapons on him. McRae acknowledged he had a gun but he didn’t have a concealed weapons permit, according to court records. McRae also had a magazine in his right breast pocket, according to the court records.
“He advised the handgun was registered to him,” a court document about the incident said. “He bought it late March at Capital Discount. He was currently trying to obtain a concealed weapons permit.”
In October 2019, Ingham County prosecutors added a second charge against McRae: possession of a loaded firearm in a vehicle, a misdemeanor.
That same month, October 2019, McRae agreed to plead guilty to the lesser misdemeanor charge, and prosecutors dismissed the felony charge.
Police and McRae
Why is it that it’s always people the police or feds know about?
McRae lived in a small house in Lansing. Paul Rodney Tucker, who lives nearby, described McRae as “wild” and “hell-raiser.” He also said “there was constant trouble” at McRae’s residence:
Tucker also heard gunshot target practice from the home last summer and believed police had been called there before.
“I told my dad it was a semi-automatic pistol,” Tucker said of gunshots heard last summer. “Bam, bam, bam, bam, bam.”
“It wasn’t firecrackers,” his father, Paul Quitman Tucker, added.
Megan and Tyler Bender said police went to McRae’s home before due to reports of gunfire. He “would fire out of the back door of the home.”
Siemon in Office
Carol Siemon was the prosecutor at that time. Judges and law enforcement complained about “her soft-on-crime policies.”
I found a few instances of her being soft on violent people. This one shook me to the core.
In 2020, she allowed a man who bludgeoned two women to death to plead to second-degree murder, which carries a minimum range of 30-50 years, because Siemon “doesn’t believe in life-without-parole sentences.” First-degree murder carries that sentence.
Siemon allowed that plea despite the man planning to kill four women. He killed two of them.
The plea ticked off the victims’ parents. The sheriff asked the state attorney general to take over.
It all changed in the hands of Ingham County Circuit Judge Rosemarie Aquilina when she rejected the deal and allowed the defendant to “withdraw his guilty pleas, saying Siemon was trying ‘to be creative to get around the judge and the Legislature, and quite frankly, the law’ in what the judge described as ‘textbook first-degree, premeditated’ murder cases.”
The guy ended up with a sentence of 70 to 100 years after he “pleaded guilty but mentally ill to two counts of second-degree murder.”
In March 2022, Siemon charged two teens, 14 and 16, as juveniles in the death of a 20-year-old. She also didn’t charge either one with a weapons possession felony.
“In the shooting death of Mr. Tomaz Shessia, I have talked with the victim’s mother on two occasions and met with other attorneys in my office including the Family Court Unit Chief,” Siemon said. “I then had to decide if I would petition the Family Court to ask to have these juveniles tried as adults.”
The law recognizes childhood as a unique and distinct chapter in life, from juvenile delinquency proceedings, to educational needs. As a result, it provides different punishments for children than for adults.
Siemon said, “After meeting with others about this particular case, and carefully weighing the information about all the factors I must consider, including the fact that a person was killed who no longer has his life and future in front of him, I made the decision that this doesn’t fit the criteria for me to petition for waiver.”
Siemon told News 10 she understands that the decision may not be popular, but believes she had an ethical obligation to request the charges she did.
Here’s the kicker. Siemon chose to charge five teens as juveniles in 2021-2022:
Five teens have now been charged with murder in juvenile court in the past year: two in Shessia’s death, one in 17-year-old Allayah Walker-Travis’s February shooting death and two in the October death of 18-year-old Noah Sisung.
A 13-year-old and 16-year-old are charged with murder in connection with Sisung’s death and a 16-year-old is charged in connection with Allayah’s death.
Sisung’s mother, Trina Coolman, is furious with Siemon for charging the teens police say are responsible for her son’s death as juveniles. She doesn’t think it’s fair.
Coolman said Siemon’s policies are a conflict of interest with her job title. Siemon needs to be thinking more about the victims, Coolman said, not the people who are facing charges.
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.