Meanwhile, campaign to recall LA County DA George Gascón gains momentum.
The United States Postal Services boasts, “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”
However, criminal activity has done what Mother Nature could not.
The United States Postal Service suspended delivery service in a Santa Monica neighborhood after several mail carriers were assaulted over the past few months.
The attacks occurred along a stretch of 14th Street near Santa Monica Boulevard and involved three different mail carriers during separate incidents, according to the US Postal Service.
“For the safety of our employees, we have had to temporarily suspend delivery of mail to these customers,” Natashi Garvins, a spokesperson for USPS, told The Post on Monday. “This is an unusual, but necessary step to protect our employees.”
The Santa Monica police have not received any official reports about the specific assaults from the Postal Service, though the department did have one case on file.
A Santa Monica Police Department lieutenant told KTLA the agency only found one crime report involving a USPS letter carrier in the 1300 block of 14th Street.
The incident, which was reported on Jan. 19, involved a resident who assaulted a USPS mail carrier with a broomstick, according to Santa Monica Police Lt. Erika Aklufi. The victim sustained a minor injury to his arm and did not require medical attention.
The resident lives in the area and “is known to our officers and also to the mail carrier he attacked,” Aklufi said in an email. The mail carrier declined prosecution for the incident, according to police.
“If there were other incidents of USPS mail carriers being attacked, we were unable to locate additional reports,” the police spokeswoman said.
Meanwhile, driven by the surge in crime in the Los Angeles area, the second attempt to recall the County’s District Attorney George Gascon is much better than the first.
Organizers of the second effort to recall embattled Los Angeles County DA George Gascón said they have gained momentum after collecting more than 200,000 signatures– with plenty of time to still hit their goal to get on the November ballot.
Campaign officials said they also have raised more than $4 million — already four times the money raised compared to last year’s recall efforts, which fizzled in September after failing to secure less than half of the approximately 500,000 signatures needed from LA County voters.
“We are continuing to deploy our resources, and we are definitely going in the right trajectory,” recall spokesperson Tim Lineberger told The Post. “There is just a lot more support this time around since people are more aware that what’s been happening in Los Angeles County, especially crime increasing, and is tied to George Gascón’s policies.”
While last year’s campaign garnered just 200,000 votes by the October 2021 deadline, the campaign this year has already collected more votes with still three months left before the deadline.
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.