I guess legislation is out the window.
Back in September, Axios reported that the Democrats already had an agenda set for the possibility of the party taking over the House.
Well, that happened last Tuesday and now Axios disclosed that the agenda will see the light of day as the Democrats prepare a “subpoena cannon” aimed at over 85 people in President Donald Trump’s sphere.
These subpoenas will not come out at once. Democrat California Rep. Adam Schiff, who will take over the House Intelligence Committee, told Axios that the committee will “prioritize what they view as the most pressing topics, which he says range from Trump’s potential business dealings with Russia to where things currently stand with North Korea.”
The previous report from Axios listed these possible targets:
- President Trump’s tax returns
- Trump family businesses — and whether they comply with the Constitution’s emoluments clause, including the Chinese trademark grant to the Trump Organization
- Trump’s dealings with Russia, including the president’s preparation for his meeting with Vladimir Putin
- The payment to Stephanie Clifford — a.k.a. Stormy Daniels
- James Comey’s firing
- Trump’s firing of U.S. attorneys
- Trump’s proposed transgender ban for the military
- Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin’s business dealings
- White House staff’s personal email use
- Cabinet secretary travel, office expenses, and other misused perks
- Discussion of classified information at Mar-a-Lago
- Jared Kushner’s ethics law compliance
- Dismissal of members of the EPA board of scientific counselors
- The travel ban
- Family separation policy
- Hurricane response in Puerto Rico
- Election security and hacking attempts
- White House security clearances
Other possible investigations: Trump’s pardons, firing of Jeff Sessions, appointing Matt Whitacker as acting Attorney General, the FBI’s investigation into Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, profits from the Trump International Hotel in DC, and politicizing the military.
Schiff would also like the committee to investigate Trump attacking the press, mainly The Washington Post and CNN.
Rep. Nita Lowey (D-NY) will take over the Appropriations Committee and she wants “to investigate Trump’s decision to initiate the Space Force — among a slew of topics already” listed above.
I wouldn’t doubt if the Democrats push through the 64 subpoenas they already tried to get through with the House under Republican control.
The Republicans still control the Senate and picked up a few more seats. Trump threatened the Democrats that “he would turn the tables and leverage his party’s Senate majority to investigate Democrats if they go that route.” At a news conference, Trump told the press that he’s “better at that game than they are, actually, but we’ll find out.”DONATE
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.