“The Congressman’s home and our district office are being monitored by officers from the Miami-Dade Police Department.”
Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-FL) and his family have received police protection after he received a a death threat on social media. From The Miami Herald:
The tweet, which was a non-specific death threat against the two-term congressman, was eventually deleted and the associated account was deleted as well. Curbelo will receive protection from law enforcement but is not expected to change his official schedule or any campaign-related events less than two weeks from Election Day.
“Earlier this week our office was made aware of a death threat directed at Congressman Curbelo through social media,” Curbelo’s office said in a statement. “Capitol Police was immediately notified and quickly identified the individual responsible. The Congressman’s home and our district office are being monitored by officers from the Miami-Dade Police Department. There are currently no changes expected to his schedule and he is expected to participate in tonight’s previously scheduled forum with the Kendall Federation. Law enforcement will be present.”
The threat came from an individual, not a bot or automated account.
“The Congressman and his family would like to thank U.S. Capitol Police and the Miami-Dade Police Department for their swift work to address the situation. All other questions should be referred to Capitol Police,” Curbelo’s office said in a statement.
A spokesperson for U.S. Capitol Police did not immediately return a request for comment.
Political intoxication is making some Americans more prone to both verbal and physical violence. It’s a serious crisis and we all have to do our part to put an end to it. Not sure what’s more disturbing; the fact that someone tweeted this or that 4 accounts liked it ???? https://t.co/pYa8DXkF3o
— Carlos Curbelo (@carloslcurbelo) October 24, 2018
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.