North Korea says joint military drills are “provocation” and preparation for invasion
According to South Korea’s Yonhap News Service, North Korea abruptly ended discussions with South Korea and is threatening to cancel the upcoming summit with the United States.
North Korea believes the U.S./South Korean joint military drills are “provocation” and preparation for an invasion.
North Korea abruptly canceled talks with South Korea scheduled for Wednesday and threatened to walk away from talks with the U.S., according to media reports.
North Korea’s state-run Central News Agency said the ongoing joint military drills between the U.S. and South Korea are a “provocation” and a preparation for an invasion, according to a Reuters report that cites South Korean news outlet Yonhap.
The move comes as U.S. President Donald Trump prepares to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in an unprecedented summit.
The Associated Press, citing Yonhap, reported that North Korea is also threatening to cancel the talks with the U.S. because of the joint military exercises.
The State Department says they have not been contacted by North Korea:
The U.S. State Department said it had not received any information from North Korea about the threat to cancel the June summit between Trump and Kim, Reuters reported.
“Kim Jong Un had said previously that he understands the need and the utility of the United States and the Republic of Korea continuing in its joint exercises,” said Heather Nauert, a State Department spokeswoman, in a briefing shortly after the North Korean announcement.
The department will continue to plan for the summit, which is currently scheduled for June 12 in Singapore.
The Max Thunder joint military drills kicked off Friday and were to continue for two weeks:DONATE
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.