84 dead. Hundreds wounded.
Last night we covered the terrorist attacks that left 84 dead in Nice, France.
Beneath are the latest updates as they’re published. We will update this post throughout the day, so be sure to refresh for the latest.
The casualty count stands at 84 with hundreds more injured. 10 of the casualties were children:
NICE, France (@AP) – Paris prosecutor: 202 people wounded in Nice truck attack: 25 on life support, 52 in critical condition.
— Jason Howerton (@jason_howerton) July 15, 2016
A Texan father and son were among those killed while on holiday in Nice:
RIP Brodie and Sean Copeland, killed in Nice, France, terrorist attack pic.twitter.com/UHyXkLAWbz
— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) July 15, 2016
When will enough be enough?
French headlines this morning:
What we know about the driver:
A day after a terrorist mowed down dozens of people celebrating Bastille Day in the coastal French city of Nice, investigators dug into the life of the man they say was the killer: A 31-year-old delivery driver and Nice resident who was born in Tunisia.
Authorities said Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel drove a rented, refrigerated truck weighing about 20 tons into crowds along a roughly 2-kilometer stretch of Promenade des Anglais Thursday night, killing 84 people — including 10 children and adolescents — and injuring 202 others.
The attack ended when police shot into the truck, killing Bouhlel, French prosecutor François Molins said Friday.
Of the injured, 52 were in critical condition, and 25 were in a coma Friday, Molins said; French President Francois Hollande described the most seriously injured as being “between life and death.”
Staff at the Lenval Hospital in Nice said 28 children remained hospitalized.
On Friday, authorities began searching an apartment building where Bouhlel apparently lived, and Molins said Bouhlel’s ex-wife had been detained Friday morning.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, and authorities did not release information about a motive. But Molins said the attack fits with calls that “terrorist organizations regularly give out on their videos and elsewhere.”
Bouhlel was known to police because of allegations of threats, violence and thefts over the last six years, and he was given a suspended six-month prison sentence this year after being convicted of violence with a weapon, Molins said.
But he was “entirely unknown by the intelligence services, whether nationally or locally,” Molins said.
“He had never been the subject of any kind of file or indication of radicalization,” Molin said.
President Obama spoke with President Hollande:
— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) July 15, 2016
Follow Kemberlee on Twitter @kemberleekayeDONATE
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.