“Most Votes and Widest Margin in Our History”
The largest liberal grassroots organization in the country announced their support for Democratic presidential candidate, Bernie Sanders Tuesday.
— MoveOn.org (@MoveOn) January 12, 2016
— Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) January 12, 2016
MoveOn endorsements are decided through a membership vote. Sanders won almost 80% of more than 340,000 votes which MoveOn described as the, “most votes and widest margin” in their history.
The only other presidential primary endorsement made by MoveOn was awarded to President Obama in early 2008.
The final vote tally:
Bernie Sanders – 78.60%, 267,749 votes cast
Hillary Clinton – 14.62%, 49,811 votes Cast
Martin O’Malley – 0.87% – 2,950 votes Cast
Do Not Endorse – 5.92% – 20,155 votes Cast
Total Valid Votes Cast: 340,665
MoveOn explained why its supporters overwhelming chose Bernie Sanders:
- Bernie’s lifelong commitment to standing up to corporate and 1% interests to fight for an economy where everyone has a fair shot.
- He’s standing up for justice for communities facing oppression.
- He’ll say no to permanent war.
- Electability: This election will hinge on turnout, and Bernie is inspiring and mobilizing the communities it’ll take to win.
- Putting members in the driver’s seat is what MoveOn does, and a whopping 79 percent voted to endorse Bernie.
#4 is going to leave a mark, particularly as Hillary Clinton’s campaign trudges along through scandal, an expanding FBI investigation, and dwindling poll numbers.
MoveOn attempted to persuade Elizabeth Warren to run for president, when she refused, members tossed their support behind Sanders, reported the New York Times.
Follow Kemberlee on Twitter @kemberleekaye