Image 01 Image 03

Sandy Fire Becomes Flashpoint in California Leadership and Fire Policy Debate

Sandy Fire Becomes Flashpoint in California Leadership and Fire Policy Debate

The fire has burned about 1,000 more acres and is only 15% contained.

Earlier this week, I reported on the Southern California Sandy Fire, which is currently ablaze in Ventura County and has incinerated 700 acres and destroyed at least one structure.

Since that report, the fire has burned about 1,000 more acres and is only 15% contained. Thousands are still under evacuation orders.

The blaze began around 11 a.m. Monday off Sandy Avenue and moved to nearby homes, destroying one, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. It had burned across 2,115 acres as of Wednesday evening, at which time around 17,000 residents remained under evacuation orders.

Around 900 firefighters continued to battle the stubborn Sandy fire in steep terrain throughout the day, according to the Ventura County Fire Department. Ground crews are focused on constructing fire lines to strengthen containment efforts, while air tankers continue dropping retardant ahead of the fire to slow its spread.

“We’re here with Cal Fire, L.A. City and L.A. County Fire,” department spokesperson Andrew Dowd said. “We have water in helicopters, dozers and engines and we are giving this fire an aggressive fire tap with everything we got.”

Apparently, the blaze had grown significantly since Monday due to shifting winds, steep terrain, and canyon-driven fire behavior. Officials have not yet released a final cause; it remains under investigation, but early reports indicate it likely started when a tractor performing brush clearance struck a rock, igniting dry vegetation.

More than 869 personnel have been assigned to the fire. Air and ground resources from across Southern California have been sent to help with the firefight of the Sandy Fire.

The Simi Valley Police Department said around 10:17 a.m., they received a report that an individual “hit a rock with a tractor” near the 2600 block of Rudolph Drive, which sparked the fire.

Sgt. Rick Morton said when people are clearing large pieces of property, oftentimes they strike something not seen to the naked eye, which may cause whatever they’re clearing to catch on fire.

Andrew Dowd, the Public Information Officer for the Ventura County Fire Department, said the fire had destroyed at least one home. CBS LA spoke to neighbors near where the home was destroyed on Trickling Brook Court. They said the family who lived there had been there for decades.

But, of course, the elite media is going to file this event under “climate”.

Residents in neighboring Los Angeles County are understandably nervous, and the Los Angeles Fire Department pre-positioned resources in the San Fernando Valley just in case the fire grew out of control.

Furthermore, with the region at the height of its fire season, several other wildfires have erupted in Southern California.

On Monday evening, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that his office had secured a fire management assistance grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to bolster the response to the Sandy fire. Local, state and tribal agencies will be able to apply for 75% reimbursement of their eligible fire suppression costs.

The blaze is one of several that recently broke out in Southern California, which is on the precipice of its high fire season. Flames had scorched 16,942 acres of Santa Rosa Island as of Tuesday night, raising fears about its unique wildlife and sensitive ecosystem.

Two brush fires broke out in Riverside County on Tuesday and quickly spread, prompting evacuations.

The Bain fire started near the Santa Ana River bottom in Jurupa Valley and had grown to 1,375 acres by Tuesday night, with 10% containment. The Verona fire broke out in the unincorporated community of Homeland, between Menifee and Hemet, and spread to 439 acres by Tuesday night with 0% containment.

When I first wrote about the Sandy Fire, I noted that the incident would likely affect voters heading into the June 2nd primary. The area still has not recovered from the Great Los Angeles Fires of 2025, and I suspect Los Angelenos would like to try a different leadership approach.

However, as the Sandy Fire continues, gubernatorial candidate Steve Hilton shared a prescient post on X before this week’s first fire.

Hilton offered a multi-point Wildfire Prevention Plan. One of my favorite elements:

End the Regulatory Barriers That Make Fires Worse. Roll back and reform extreme environmental and air quality regulations that have been weaponized to block basic fire prevention and firefighting.

This includes fixing harmful air quality bureaucracy that has been used to stop controlled burns, reforming endangered species rules that prevent effective vegetation management and emergency response, and restoring common-sense authority for fire agencies to act.

This will be achieved through executive orders and appointments of serious, results-driven leadership to key agencies like CARB, the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy, and related regulatory bodies.

As it stands now, the Sandy Fire is a grim but instructive snapshot of where California’s leadership failures have left its residents: thousands under evacuation orders, a family losing a home they’d built over decades, hundreds of firefighters and air assets maxed out battling a blaze ignited by something as routine as a tractor striking a rock.

The state’s regulatory apparatus is the root cause of these incidents. It blocks controlled burns, ties the hands of vegetation management crews, and reflexively blames every ember on “climate change”. These bureaucrats have essentially made California into a tinder box.

Steve Hilton’s wildfire prevention framework isn’t just good policy; at this point, it reads like a list of things Sacramento has been deliberately avoiding.

With the June 2nd primary approaching and the images from the Great Los Angeles Fires of 2025 burned into memory, voters may finally be ready to hold someone accountable. Hopefully, blaming the climate and carrying on as usual will no longer cut it as an answer.

DONATE

Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.

Comments


 
 0 
 
 3
henrybowman | May 21, 2026 at 7:22 pm

If Hamilton Beach made a toaster oven that was a 10′ cube, Karen Bass and her campaign would be in it right now.


 
 0 
 
 6
alaskabob | May 21, 2026 at 7:43 pm

The Bain fire in Riverside presently is 1000 acres and 35% contained. There are no Santa Ana winds but for this fire originating near homeless camps is … well… usual. Several years back an historic building in Riverside burned down… from homeless. The Bain fire has also caused evacuations. Watched the web site following the fires….. Riverside had Calfire Turbine Commander and OV-10 circling but no heavy planes as Simi probably needed them more. Preventing build up of fuel and ignoring vagrants has a co$t.


 
 0 
 
 5
DSHornet | May 21, 2026 at 10:39 pm

How timely with the talk of the Great LA Fire last year and one of the leading LA mayoral candidates being a man who was burned out and unable to rebuild because of the bureaucracy.
.


 
 0 
 
 4
MoeHowardwasright | May 22, 2026 at 12:34 am

The state and local governments have created this mess with their rules/laws against removal of dead fall and brush. They have created this mess. In the summer of 2008 there were large fires around Lake Tahoe. The Nevada side has always allowed brush and dead fall clearing. Fires did not do much damage and were controlled rapidly. Commiefornia side burned hotter and grew larger fast. There was much damage and it took weeks to stop the fires. That was 18 years ago. No lesson learned by Commiefornia.


 
 0 
 
 4
diver64 | May 22, 2026 at 5:32 am

I’m going to need a little clarification on that “tractor struck rock” excuse. Even if a tractor struck a rock resulting in sparks that ignited a fire every piece of clearing equipment has a fire extinguisher and if the fire danger is so high why didn’t they have a couple of guys following the clearing crew with “piss pumps” looking for this danger?
Decades of bad forest management, regulations, lawsuits to stop all clearing, people building in dangerous fire prone locations. Whole lot of reasons Cali is such a mess. Did I mention that empty reservoir from the Palisades fire is empty again? Remember that cover they were waiting to get repaired? That cover, which now is going to cost millions for some reason, is needed to turn the fire control reservoir into a drinking water source.


     
     0 
     
     0
    coyote in reply to diver64. | May 22, 2026 at 9:25 am

    Yeah, that excuse—pardon me: explanation—was pretty thin on the ground . Reminded me of a quote from Addams Family Values:

    Young Girl: And then Mommy kissed Daddy, and the angel told the stork, and the stork flew down from heaven, and left a diamond under a leaf in the cabbage patch, and the diamond turned into a baby!

    Pugsley: Our parents are having a baby, too.

    Wednesday: They had sex.


 
 0 
 
 1
destroycommunism | May 22, 2026 at 9:35 am

bass responded:

I said defund the police
not the fire department

and I also demand more female firefighters in the name of equity

and the fires blazed onwards……….


 
 0 
 
 1
starlightnite50yrsago | May 22, 2026 at 10:22 am

The chickens have come home to roost. The term forest or land management has no meaning in California. They were to busy with their faux environmentalism, condemning everyone outside of California for cutting trees and managing the land.


 
 0 
 
 0
CommoChief | May 22, 2026 at 12:34 pm

Given the context of the object lessen delivered by the fires last Jan it is absolutely irresponsible that the lessons learned/best practice fire mitigation measures don’t seem to have been implemented. I believe I read that LA has less firefighters today than Jan ’25 when they were already understaffed.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.