Hannah-Jones made such a big deal about not receiving tenure, making the school jump through hoops for her. Capitulation and bending the knee never works
The drama between 1619 Project author Nikole Hannah-Jones and University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill finally ended on Tuesday morning.
UNC tried to stand its ground but eventually caved. Done and over, right?
Nope! Hannah-Jones revealed this morning she declined the tenure offer and will become the inaugural Knight Chair in Race and Reporting at Howard University.
JUST IN: Award-winning journalist @nhannahjones reveals on @CBSThisMorning she has declined the University of North Carolina's offer for tenure and will be the inaugural Knight Chair in Race and Reporting at @HowardU. pic.twitter.com/w9j0gVe0cd
— CBS This Morning (@CBSThisMorning) July 6, 2021
From The Washington Post:
“I am so incredibly honored to be joining one of the most important and storied educational institutions in our country … ” Hannah-Jones said in a statement. “One of my few regrets is that I did not attend Howard as an undergraduate, and so coming here to teach fulfills a dream I have long carried.”
Hannah-Jones will also found a Center for Journalism and Democracy at Howard. She said it will aim to train journalism students from historically Black schools to “accurately and urgently [cover] the challenges of our democracy with a clarity, skepticism, rigor and historical dexterity that is too often missing from today’s journalism.
Mike did a wonderful job capturing the drama since April:
- 1619 Project Author Nikole Hannah-Jones Joining Faculty at U. North Carolina
- 1619 Project Author Nikole Hannah-Jones Denied Tenured Position At UNC-Chapel Hill
- Professors at UNC-Chapel Hill Demand Vote on Nikole Hannah-Jones Tenure Case
- Nikole Hannah-Jones Considers Suing UNC-Chapel Hill Over Denial of Tenure
- Some Professors Are Scoffing at the Nikole Hannah-Jones UNC Tenure Lawsuit
- Professors Announce They’re Leaving UNC-Chapel Hill Over Nikole Hannah-Jones Not Being Offered Tenure
- Nikole Hannah-Jones Refuses to Start New Job at UNC-Chapel Hill Unless She Gets Tenure
- UNC-Chapel Hill Caves to Pressure, Grants Tenure to Nikole Hannah-Jones
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.