Most Read
Image 01 Image 02 Image 03

UC-Berkeley Reportedly Spends $25 Million a Year on Diversity Efforts

UC-Berkeley Reportedly Spends $25 Million a Year on Diversity Efforts

“Division of Equity and Inclusion spends $25 million annually to support the 400 full and part-time staff to run diversity and inclusion-related programs”

Imagine how many students could attend Berkeley for ‘free’ if this money was spent on scholarships.

The College Fix reports:

UC Berkeley spends $25M a year, pays 400 employees to advance ‘equity and inclusion’

UC Berkeley employs 150 professionals and 250 additional students dedicated to addressing “systemic inequities,” according to a document obtained this week by The College Fix.

The public research institution’s Division of Equity and Inclusion spends $25 million annually to support the 400 full and part-time staff to run diversity and inclusion-related programs, according to the document, an eight-page job description for a new Vice Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion.

These programs include “staff diversity formal collaborations with People & Culture, the Othering & Belonging Institute, the American Cultures Engaged Community teaching program, the Basic Needs Center, and other programs serving a broad array of constituencies.”

According to the document, 58 percent of Berkeley’s $25 million diversity budget is from “campus and state funds,” or taxpayer money and tuition, 31 percent is from federal and state public service grants, and 11 percent is from philanthropy and private grants.

UC Berkeley spokesman Dan Mogulof told The College Fix that the $25 million equity and inclusion budget makes up less than one percent of the university’s total budget, and that the school has “no plans” to seek any increase in funding for the division.

Mogulof added the school is “uncertain why anyone would oppose efforts to ensure that every student on an extraordinarily diverse campus feels a equal sense of belonging to the campus’s community.”

By comparison, the University of Michigan’s diversity budget is nearly $7 million per year. In 2018, a state economics professor caused a stir when he reported that Michigan paid roughly 50 diversity employees.

DONATE

Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.

Comments


 
 0 
 
 0
alohahola | April 4, 2021 at 4:32 pm

All that money for so little impact.


 
 0 
 
 0
The Friendly Grizzly | April 4, 2021 at 8:45 pm

California taxpayers not available for comment.


 
 0 
 
 0
Vince Vonheeder | April 5, 2021 at 9:45 pm

So; “…58 percent of Berkeley’s $25 million diversity budget is from “campus and state funds,” or taxpayer money and tuition (including Federal and State tuition grants; e,g, Pell grants, and loans), 31 percent is from federal and state public service grants…” this totals 89% of the funding with the remaining 11% being (probably) from 501(c) tax exempt philanthropy. With the exception of loan repayments years downstream, the money is all taxpayer provided either directly or indirectly). Swell. This California taxpayer is not impressed with the high priced swill being pushed on my – and millions of others – dime.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Font Resize
Contrast Mode
Send this to a friend