“This year’s worst-of-the-worst list includes a college that fired a history professor for teaching history”
The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education is the authority on this topic.
From the FIRE blog:
FIRE presents the 10 Worst Colleges for Free Speech: 2021
Would you make a student homeless during the pandemic because you didn’t like something he said? Or threaten faculty doctors fighting COVID-19 with termination for speaking to the press? If you’re a campus official at one of the schools on this list, you just might!
In the 10th edition of our annual “Worst Colleges for Free Speech” list, campus free speech watchdog the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education names and shames the worst in college censorship over the last year. And, as in years past, narrowing down the list was no easy task.
This year’s worst-of-the-worst list includes a college that fired a history professor for teaching history, one that tried to expel a student after she tweeted about Cardi B, and another that censored Students for Justice in Palestine with one hand and a pro-Second Amendment student with the other.
The 10 Worst Colleges for Free Speech are, in alphabetical order:
– Collin College (McKinney, Texas)
– Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, Penn.)
– Fordham University (New York City)
– Frostburg State University (Frostburg, Md.)
– Haskell Indian Nations University (Lawrence, Kan.)
– New York University (New York City)
– Northwestern University Qatar (Doha, Qatar)
– St. John’s University (New York City)
– University of Illinois at Chicago (Chicago, Ill.)
– University of Tennessee (UT Health Science Center, Memphis, Tenn.)
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.