Barber Karl Manke, 77, became a star after he opened his shop in Owosso, MI, on May 4, despite Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s shutdown orders. He faced a “90-day misdemeanor and/or a $500 fine.”

The state requested “a temporary restraining order” because officials considered him “an immediate threat to the public.”

So state regulators stripped Manke’s license.

Unbelievable.

I think people forget that salons and barbershops are sterile even without the risk of coronavirus. Manke even wore a mask, sanitized his tools with ultraviolet light, and followed basic common sense sanitary rules (emphasis mine):

“I don’t need the governor to be my mother,” Manke told the Flint Journal. “I have one. God bless her, she’s gone now. I don’t need another mother. I can make these adult decisions myself.”

Manke said money has been tight since the shutdown and he can no longer afford to stay closed. Even with the potential consequences, the 77-year-old said he plans on keeping his doors opens.

“Heavens yes, I’m staying open unless they take me out in handcuffs or Taser me,” he told the paper. “I’ll be open until Jesus walks in or until they arrest me.”

Attorney General Dana Nessel said the government must “take action to protect the public and do our part to help save lives.”

Manke can still cut hair until officials serve him the suspension. He has not received it yet, but he and his lawyer Dave Kallman received notification of said suspension.

Kallman called the suspension “an abuse of power,” “totally vindictive,” “petty,” and “totally in retribution because they didn’t like the court order from earlier this week.”

Manke said on Sunday: “Obviously she [Whitmer] has no concept at all, the damage that she’s doing to our state and to families.”

[Featured image via YouTube]

 

 
donate
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.