“Spying on innocent citizens…this must be one of the most fascist things I’ve ever seen.”
First, we find out that Google will hand over location date to health officials.
Now we have a city in New Jersey using drones to enforce social distancing rules. The city is using drones from a company headquartered in China, too.
Can someone please remind every government in the country that 1984 is a novel, not an instructional manual?
The Elizabeth Police Department made the announcement via Facebook:
The department wrote:
These drones will be around the City with an automated message from the Mayor telling you to STOP gathering, disperse and go home.
Summonses HAVE AND WILL CONTINUE to be issued to those found in violation.
Fines are up to $1000.
You have been advised.
China did this after the Wuhan coronavirus broke out. Belgium also used drones on their citizens.
It gets more disturbing because NJ.com reported the department will use drones from DJI Technology.
DJI Technology’s headquarters is based in China. The company’s website also states that the “drones could be used to spray disinfectants or check temperatures using infrared cameras.”
Elizabeth spokeswoman Kelly Martins assured citizens the police department will only use the drones that can send out recorded messages. Martins said officials will deploy the drones “in areas that may be difficult for a police car to access, to have people do social distance.”
I know I’m a paranoid libertarian who hates government (just ask Professor Jacobson!) but please tell me I’m not the only one who finds this creepy and worrisome. Some of the comments on the Facebook post show I’m not alone:
- “Spying on innocent citizens…this must be one of the most fascist things I’ve ever seen.”
- “So know [sic] every govt agency in our country wants to act like communist China or have the police gotten that lazy.”
- “You’re violating 6 foot rule so we’re gonna have multiple people get in your personal space and throw you in jail where you will have no personal space and probably be infected by others”
- “This is totalitarianism. Period. I’ve never seen cops on such disgusting power trips before. Go ahead, keep deleting the negative comments. Whoever is running this page is a civil SERVANT. The page and your salary are paid by those commenting. You don’t get to decide what speech is appropriate or not unless it is in clear violation of statutes.”
- “Straight out of China’s playbook. Well done!”
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.