Trump: “I was smiling as I looked up and around. The MANY reporters with me were smiling also….And yet when I saw the reporting, CNN, MSNBC and other Fake News outlets covered it as serious news & me thinking of myself as the Messiah”
The humorless #Resistance media has again jumped the shark with their latest bizarre insistence on taking seriously a joke President Trump made about being “the Chosen One” on trade with China. This episode is right up there with Snopes “fact checking” the satiric website the Babylon Bee in terms of absurdity and just plain malice.
Personally, when I heard Trump’s comment about being the “chosen one,” my first thought was of Oprah once gushing that Obama was “the One” and the fun the right had with that for eight years. Compounded by Obama’s bizarre assertion that his 2008 nomination would be remembered as when the oceans stopped rising and the planet began to heal, it quickly became “The Chosen One” and the “Teh One.” After Obama’s snippy “I won” to the GOP, it became “Teh Won.”
Having lived through the Obama years, I just shrugged and figured Trump was sarcastically poking at the media as he is wont to do. After all, they spent the Obama years in a leg-tingling fever of awe-struck, sycophantic groveling before their chosen one.
The media is as completely unhinged now as it was then. They have simply flipped from tying themselves in knots excusing and running interference for Obama to tying themselves in knots to excoriate and “resist” Trump. They simply cannot not take the bait and end up beclowning themselves. They don’t seem to mind the very real risk of (still further) alienating the public with their clear and deranged anti-Trump bias.
Here’s the clip (a longer version of the presser can be viewed here):
He’s clearly having fun here. He mentions that previous presidents (ahem, Obama) should have taken on China on trade and did not, then he sort of spins to his left and dramatically looks toward the heavens before lightheartedly saying he’s the “chosen one” on trade with China.
He concludes by pointing out, quite rightly, that he was elected to work on deals that put America first. He campaigned on doing so and won his election, so he’s not wrong.
Pretty much nothing to talk about, right?
Right. But the joyless and hate-filled leftstream media went nuts anyway.
Here’s just a sampling:
- WaPo: “Trump is increasingly untethered from reality”
- CNN: “Yes, Donald Trump really believes he is ‘the chosen one'”
- NYTimes: “Trump Goes Godly: the man in the White House thinks he’s a miracle”
- CNBC: “‘I am the Chosen One,’ Trump proclaims as he defends trade war with China”
- WaPo (again): “‘I am the chosen one’: Trump again plays on messianic claims as he embraces ‘King of Israel’ title”
- Roll Call: “Trump, self-described ‘Chosen One,’ heads to G-7 looking for ‘respect’”
- MSNBC: “Morning Joe’s take on Trump saying he’s the chosen one: ‘The gods must be crazy’”
- AP: “President Trump Offers Himself as ‘the Chosen One'”
- Bloomberg: “Donald Trump Is Not the Messiah, He’s a Very Naughty Boy”
The president took to Twitter to explain the obvious: he was joking, it’s called sarcasm.
The dishonesty of the leftstream media is not surprising, but it is becoming increasingly tiresome. They like to run tallies of Trump’s supposed “lies” and “misrepresentations,” but they’d do well to turn that penchant for counting lies and misrepresentations on themselves.DONATE
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.