Earlier this week, President Trump tweeted:  “Next week ICE will begin the process of removing the millions of illegal aliens who have illicitly found their way into the United States.” Today, he has announced that the raids will be delayed for two weeks.

The raids were to target over 2,000 illegal aliens who have been issued deportation orders but chose to ignore them and remain in our country.

NBC News reported yesterday:

Immigration authorities are planning a massive roundup Sunday of undocumented families that have received deportation orders, two sources familiar with the matter told NBC News.

The raids will take place in several cities across the country and could target up to 2,000 immigrants facing deportation orders, the sources said.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement acting Director Mark Morgan confirmed the planned operation on Friday.

“This is not about fear,” Morgan said in an interview with ABC News Live. “No one is instilling fear in anyone. This is about the rule of law and maintaining the integrity of the system.”

Morgan said his agency will pursue more than 2,040 family members who are still living in the U.S. despite having received deportation orders. The goal, he said in the interview, was to deter others from entering the country illegally.

“Right now, the greatest pull factors for families to come here is they know that once they arrive in the U.S., they remain here untouched,” Morgan said. “We have to change that.”

It seems like the president had a plan, however, because just this morning, he doubled down on the planned raids.

And suddenly Congressional Democrats are interested in working with Republicans to do something about immigration. The president is giving them two weeks.