No medical or psychological professional needs to provide written consent?

The Daily Caller reports:

UW-Madison To Let Transgender People Get Hormone Therapy Without Doctor Consent

The University of Wisconsin-Madison will let anyone who wants to undergo gender reassignment treatment to do so without the consent of a therapist or counselor.

At most public universities, and indeed at almost any medical facility, persons wanting to undergo hormone therapy and gender reassignment surgery must talk to a therapist, counselor or medical professional to receive consent prior to moving forward with treatment. But UW-Madison is changing that policy to let students bypass those normal requirements, according to Wisconsin Public Radio (WPR).

Students wanting to transition will need only to work with their doctor and don’t have to receive written consent from a counselor or go through UW-Madison’s Gender Identity Consultation program.

UHS associate counselor Shannon Juniper Neimeko says the change is meant to eliminate barriers to care for transgender persons. “What we’re trying to pay attention to and work to resolve, is that trans health care has different requirements for access than care for cis(gender) folks,” she said, WPR reports. Neimeko noted the changes should take effect by May.

Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.