Spicer had a problem with Trump appointing Anthony Scaramucci as communications director
The New York Times has reported that Sean Spicer has resigned from his press secretary post.
*This is a developing story and will update this post as needed
From The New York Times:
Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, resigned on Friday morning, telling President Trump he vehemently disagreed with the appointment of the New York financier Anthony Scaramucci as communications director.
Mr. Trump offered Mr. Scaramucci the job at 10 a.m. The president requested that Mr. Spicer stay on, but Mr. Spicer told Mr. Trump that he believed the appointment was a major mistake, according to person with direct knowledge of the exchange.
— Kayleigh McEnany 45 Archived (@PressSec45) July 21, 2017
The Wall Street Journal added:
White House press secretary Sean Spicer resigned on Friday over objections that President Donald Trump has hired financier Anthony Scaramucci as his new communications director, a White House official said.
Mr. Spicer told the White House communications team about his decision on Friday morning, another official said. Mr. Spicer thanked his team and said he would help with the transition, as the team gave him a round of applause, the official said. Reince Priebus, the White House chief of staff who clashed with Mr. Scaramucci during the campaign, then introduced the new communications director to the full team.
Scaramucci announced today that Sarah Sanders has taken over:
Scaramucci, an investment-firm founder and top Republican donor and Trump surrogate, became the senior vice president and chief strategy officer of the Export-Import Bank last month.
White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus is reportedly also not a fan of Scaramucci’s.
The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
Scaramucci’s name appeared in a CNN story last month that claimed the Senate Intelligence Committee wanted to investigate a “$10-billion Russian investment fund whose chief executive met with a member of President Donald Trump’s transition team four days before Trump’s inauguration.” The CNN report “cited a meeting in January between RDIF [Russian Direct Investment Fund] head Kirill Dmitriev and Scaramucci.”
CNN quietly retracted and deleted the story the following day:
On June 22, 2017, CNN.com published a story connecting Anthony Scaramucci with investigations into the Russian Direct Investment Fund.
That story did not meet CNN’s editorial standards and has been retracted. Links to the story have been disabled. CNN apologizes to Mr. Scaramucci.
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.