Matthews: the courts “have gotten into somebody else’s marmalade here”
Wait a second: was that Sean Hannity on Fox News? Nope, it was Chris Matthews on MSNBC last night, expressing surprising skepticism over the 9th Circuit’s decision to uphold the stay of President Trump’s executive order on immigration.Matthews made a multi-pronged attack on the ruling.
- Matthews suggested political motives on the part of the Court:”so much of this court ruling is based on what they think about Trump.”
- He called it “an odd ban on Muslims if it doesn’t include 95% of Muslims.”
- Matthews suggested that the ruling would not have gone 3-0 against the order if it had been heard in another [less liberal] Circuit court.
- Matthews repeatedly attacked the court’s reliance on the fact that we haven’t been attacked by people from the countries included in the order. He argued that you couldn’t predict the future, pointing out that no one from Egypt had attacked the US before Mohamed Atta did on 9-11, and no one from the West Bank or Jordan before Sirhan Sirhan assassinated RFK.
- Matthews was dubious about the court extending equal protection rights to non-Americans who are not in the country.
Concluded Matthews: “I think the courts have gotten into somebody else’s marmalade here. You start talking about policy, and which countries to target, which not to target. These judges don’t have any competence to do that.”
Note: Hardball flashed a chyron showing that Hillary Clinton had triumphantly tweeted “3-0.” When a Politico reporter suggested it wasn’t a political ruling since a George W appointee had gone along with it, Matthews taunted: “so you’re with Hillary on this. You’re with Hillary who says 3-0.”DONATE
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.