“This is a terrible time we’re living in.”
Just when you thought the MSM might be running out of hyperbole about President Trump’s criticism of the media, along comes Carl Bernstein . . .
On CNN’s Reliable Sources today, Bernstein unleashed a torrent of accusations about the president.
- Trump’s attacks on the media “more treacherous” than Nixon’s.
- Apophasis alert: “I’m not about to say anything comparing Hitler and Trump”, but Hitler and Stalin also used the phrase “enemy of the people” about the media.
- Trump is “leading a demagogic attack on the institutions of free democracy.”
- “This is a terrible time we’re living in.”
- The media is “the last resort of the American people to a dictatorial, and authoritarian-inclined president.”
- Trump expresses himself in “demagogic and frightening and treacherous words that have meaning in terms of threats to democracy.”
Note: Host Brian Stelter opened the show with his own bit of over-the-top rhetoric, ominously intoning that Trump’s criticism of the media is “poison. That’s what it is. A verbal form of poison.”
Note segundo: The Washington Post‘s Dana Priest tried to talk poor Carl off the ledge, advising “I really think at this moment we should eliminate the adjectives and stick to the facts.”
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.