Who’s up for a “civilian oversight board” with the power to set police policy and hire/fire officers?
We’ve been covering the Charlotte protests here at LI, and the lasted development is quite a doozy. They’ve released a list of demands that boggles the mind and steps perilously close to the federal definition of terrorism.
Protestors in Charlotte have made quite a few demands over when they’ll end their rallies, not the least of which are the “demilitarization” and “defunding” of the city’s police department.
The death of Keith Lamont Scott sparked major unrest over the past few days, which created enough pressure on Charlotte police that they released their body cam footage of the fatal encounter. Even so, protest participants of are circulating an online set of terms for when they’ll call it quits completely, and…it’s a pretty sizable assortment.
The list includes defunding the police department while simultaneously demanding it pay “reparations” for police violence. The protestors also want the immediate release of protesters arrested for violence in relation to the protests, as well as the dropping of all charges against them.
Another ludicrous “demand” is the establishment of a civilian police “oversight board” . . . that has the power to hire and fire police officers and the power to “dictate police policies, priorities, and budgets.”
Here’s the list:
1. THE IMMEDIATE END TO THE STATE OF EMERGENCY, CURFEW & THE REMOVAL OF THE NATIONAL GUARD
2. THE IMMEDIATE DEMILITARIZATION OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT AND THE IMMEDIATE RETURN OF ALL MILITARY EQUIPMENT
3. THE DEFUNDING OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT (2017 Budget: $246,644,617) AND THE REDIRECTION OF THOSE RESOURCES TO THE NEEDS OF OUR COMMUNITIES (INCLUDING RESOURCES FOR JOBS PROGRAMS, AFFORDABLE QUALITY HOUSING, TRANSPORTATION, HOLISTIC HEALTH AND QUALITY SCHOOLS)
4. AN INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION INTO THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT AND AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE CHARLOTTE MECKLENBURG POLICE DEPARTMENT BY THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE AND A FREEZE ON THE NEARLY 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS AWARDED IN FEDERAL GRANTS ANNUALLY TO THE DEPARTMENT5. A RELEASE OF THE POLICE REPORT AND BODY CAMERA FOOTAGE CONNECTED WITH THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT & ALL OTHER KILLINGS TO THE PUBLIC AND IMMEDIATELY REPEAL OF HB 972, WHICH RESTRICTS THE ABILITY OF THE PUBLIC TO ACCESS POLICE BODY CAMERA FOOTAGE
6. THE IMMEDIATE AND UNCONDITIONAL RELEASE OF ALL THOSE ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE UPRISING RESULTING FROM THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT & THE DROPPING OF ALL CHARGES
7. THE RELEASE OF ALL THE NAMES OF THE OFFICERS INVOLVED IN THE KILLING OF KEITH L. SCOTT TO THE PUBLIC FOLLOWED BY THEIR FIRING, ARREST AND PROSECUTION
8. REPARATIONS FOR THE FAMILY OF KEITH L. SCOTT AND ALL VICTIMS OF POLICE VIOLENCE AS WELL AS THE FAMILIES OF THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN KILLED
9. COMMUNITY CONTROL OF THE POLICE, STARTING WITH THE CREATION OF A CIVILIAN OVERSIGHT BOARD THAT HAS THE POWER TO HIRE AND FIRE OFFICERS, DETERMINE DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS AS WELL AS DICTATE POLICE POLICIES, PRIORITIES, AND BUDGETS. THE BOARD SHALL NOT INCLUDE POLICE REPRESENTATION AND WILL BE CONTROLLED BY COMMUNITIES MOST IMPACTED BY POLICING AND INCARCERATION IN CHARLOTTE.
10. AN END TO THE REPRESSION & TARGETING OF PROTESTORS AND ALL THOSE ENGAGED IN THE CHARLOTTE UPRISING
Presumably, the protests, riots, and violence will continue until these demands are met.
The FBI defines domestic terrorism as follows:
“Domestic terrorism” means activities with the following three characteristics:
- Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
- Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
- Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.
The NAACP released its own list of demands yesterday.DONATE
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.