Look out, Anthony Weiner’s back and in charge. This time (allegedly) as “Carlos Danger.”
New lewd messages and photos have emerged from an anonymous source, and they are purported to have been sent by Weiner, who is now running for NYC mayor.
The website The Dirty posted the scoop earlier, and had been hinting yesterday that more would be on the way. If the timeline is to be believed, it would appear that Weiner continued his habit even after he resigned from his Congressional office in disgrace.
From NBC News:
The Dirty claimed that Weiner — who allegedly used the alias Carlos Danger — met the unnamed 22-year-old woman on Facebook and sent sexually explicit photos and had phone sex with her. He promised her a job and a condo, the site said.
“Even post scandal, I thought he was misunderstood. Until I got to know him,” the woman was quoted as saying. “I thought I loved him. Pretty pathetic.”
More from Business Insider:
The woman said that the online relationship occurred in 2012 — about a year after Weiner’s initial fall and resignation from Congress.
Weiner addressed the revelations in a statement released through his campaign. But he did not address the timeline of the chats and photos.
“I said that other texts and photos were likely to come out, and today they have,” Weiner said in a statement released by his campaign Tuesday afternoon.
“As I have said in the past, these things that I did were wrong and hurtful to my wife and caused us to go through challenges in our marriage that extended past my resignation from Congress. While some things that have been posted today are true and some are not, there is no question that what I did was wrong. This behavior is behind me. I’ve apologized to Huma and am grateful that she has worked through these issues with me and for her forgiveness. I want to again say that I am very sorry to anyone who was on the receiving end of these messages and the disruption that this has caused. As my wife and I have said, we are focused on moving forward.”
Weiner is expected to give a press conference momentarily. We’ll update this post as new information is available. (An Anthony Weiner press conference just won’t be the same without my late friend Andrew Breitbart).
UPDATE 7/23/2013 6:20pm:
While Weiner didn’t offer too much more in this afternoon’s press conference than was already in his earlier statement, and he dodged his way around giving specifics on answers to questions, he did confirm that some sexting continued even after his resignation from Congress. His wife Huma also took the podium to support her husband, saying, “Anthony’s made some horrible mistakes, both before he resigned from Congress and after. But I do very strongly believe that that is between us, and our marriage.” She continued, “It was not an easy choice in any way, but I made the decision that it was worth staying in this marriage…That was a decision I made for me, for our son, and for our family.”
Buzzfeed points out that, if the alleged timing is accurate, Weiner’s Wholesome People Magazine Spread Came One Week After Starting Online Relationship.
Video of full press conference below.DONATE
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.