Trouble in an Operation Counterweight race, GA-12 now leaning Democrat
In a race that has long been dubbed the closest Georgia Congressional contest, new developments suggest it may be slowly tilting in favor of incumbent Democrat, John Barrow.
The Rothenberg Political Report is now handicapping Georgia’s 12th District congressional race as “toss-up/tilt Democrat” – with an assessment that U.S. Rep. John Barrow, D-Augusta, may yet again escape Republican attempts to re-district him out of Congress.
The explanation is behind a pay wall, but Georgia Tipsheet says it includes this sentence:
“This district is one that should have never been a headache for the GOP, but after getting a weak nominee in state Rep. Lee Anderson, reality is setting in for many Republican operatives.”
Barrow has also been the beneficiary of a well-crafted TV campaign, emphasizing his dedication to gun rights and also focusing on Anderson’s refusal to meet him in debates.
Anderson opting not to debate John Barrow until he admits that he’s voting for President Obama may prove to be an ill-fated decision, as Barrow has already used the opportunity to take shots at Anderson and engage the press corps one-on-one.
Democratic U.S. Rep. John Barrow attacked Republican challenger Lee Anderson for supporting a national sales tax during what was to have been a debate Sunday.
Anderson didn’t show up; he had said repeatedly that he would not. Instead, Barrow took questions from journalists in a forum held by the Atlanta Press Club.
He used the first question to vow to protect the middle class and to tar Anderson for backing a proposal by failed Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain dubbed 9-9-9 for its rates on corporate, personal income and sales taxes.
Barrow said 84 percent of Americans would wind up with a tax increase if such a proposal became law.
Despite all this, GA-12 is still a very winnable race for Republicans. A recent poll sponsored by the Democrat organization, House Majority Pac, shows Anderson and Barrow in a statistical tie among likely voters just 10 days before the election.
You can help Lee Anderson’s campaign by donating to him here.
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.
“GEORGIA FOR LEE ANDERSON…AND FREEDOM”
Some find fault that “Lee’s just a farmer”,
“Just a guy who brings food to our state”,
But when you closer, you see underneath,
All the VALUES that make Georgia great.
‘Cause he’s learned that our workers are worthy,
To eat by the sweat of their brows,
And they live on a BUDGET that’s honest,
While Obama just borrows “somehow” (1)
And Lee knows Obamacare’s deadly,
Though Barrow seems to think it’s now swell (2),
But those “death panels” we fear are now forming (3)
And they’ll send those we love into hell!
We could go on like this for a long time,
But we trust GEORGIA VOTERS will look
Beyond “clever ads” that attempt to deceive,
To keep BARROW & OBAMA on the books. (4)
(1) Barack, the “Borrower”:
• Foreign [e.g. CHINESE] money to give to Foreign Countries [See http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150193243058435%5D
• Took 700 + BILLION from MEDICARE for OBAMACARE [See, http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/15/new-day-same-battle-over-medicare/%5D
• Buying jobs in phony “Green Conservation” projects with BORROWED MONEY [See, http://www.conunderground.com/how-to-fix-mark-to-market/obama-buying-jobs-with-borrowed-money/
• Wants to borrow money TO PAY TO GREECE! [See, http://floppingaces.net/2011/06/08/obama-says-we-will-borrow-money-from-china-to-give-to-greece/%5D COMPARE, ROMNEY: “No checks for Europe”! [See, http://www.rawstory.com/rs/tag/republican-white-house-hopeful-mitt-romney/%5D [AND ROMNEY WILL NOT APOLOGIZE, BOW, OR BEND TO ANYONE!]
(2) Barros is LYING TO GEORGIA. He says, “I did not vote for Obamacare”, BUT, SEE THIS: “John Barrow is not being truthful about his support for $700 billion in Medicare cuts. When given the opportunity to repeal Obamacare, John Barrow voted no. He voted to hit the middle class with a tax hike and keep the $716 billion in Medicare cuts in place. The Medicare cuts Barrow voted for amount to more than $1 billion in Georgia’s 12th District alone.” [Source: http://www.atr.org/americans-tax-reform-responds-john-barrows-a7250%5D In addition, Barrow has ADMITTED HE WON’T REPEAL OBAMACARE! [See, http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insider-jim-galloway/2012/07/11/john-barrow-says-he-wont-support-health-care-repeal/%5D
Read more: http://atr.org/americans-tax-reform-responds-john-barrows-a7250#ixzz2AdMHS4lk
So, even if “JB”. the big shot, didn’t vote to this hell-law, he still SUPPORTS IT, HE ALLOWS IT TO RAPE MEDICARE, AND HE WON’T REPEAL IT! [His promises to “tweak” the law are DEADLY D#MNING TO THOSE, LIKE ME, WHO ARE ELDERLY AND NEED GOOD CARE!]
QUOTE: “A top Democrat strategist and donor who served as President Obama’s lead auto-industry adviser recently conceded that the rationing of heath services under Obamacare is “inevitable.” Steven Rattner advocated that such rationing should target elderly patients, while stating, “We need death panels.”
(4) [See, http://barrowobama.com/%5D “There may be no better example of a politician who will say one thing and do another than Congressman John Barrow. He tells voters he has stood up to Nancy Pelosi after voting for her for Speaker of the House twice. He claims to be an independent voice but brags about working ‘hand-in-hand’ with Barack Obama.
“John Barrow brands himself as a moderate, but has joined with Washington liberals to vote for billions in bailouts for the auto industry, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac; for the failed multi-billion-dollar stimulus; and against repealing President Obama’s catastrophic healthcare takeover. “John Barrow’s two-faced approach to his constituents caused the Augusta Chronicle to call John Barrow “perhaps the most shameless, duplicitous, self-serving politician of his era.””
ROMNEY, RYAN, AND ANDERSON FOR THE REPUBLIC.
New leadership for a renewed America.
I have family around Savannah within Barrow’s district. And they describe for me a nearly identical situation with Barrow as I do about Scott Brown. Both have to work hard to not be cast as a member of their parties for a good number of voters. In this polar political environment it matters mostly which capital letter is after your name, R or D.
Barrow would not have ever been elected if he weren’t skillful at telling voters one thing and doing the opposite in Washington. Even when the district “leaned Democratic” for years, this area of Georgia is full of white Democrats who are more conservative than many Republicans.
Rothenberg’s slant has been more to Obama than anything else this year. I doubt seriously there has been enough valid polling in the district to draw any such conclusions. It certainly was a bonehead move to refuse to debate with Barrow endorsing Obama. Debate, and keep asking Barrow that question, you idiot!
But the nation and Georgia are fed up with Obama and Pelosi and Reid, so it is not correct to write Anderson off, despite himself.
I have already cast my vote for Anderson thanks to the early voting thing. My college attending daughter’s absentee ballot has also been cast for him. My wife will be voting shortly.
A couple of years ago, I met Barrow and debated him on the issues in a “Congress on the Corner” meeting he held. He attempted to snowplow over me when I posed some direct and pointed questions to him but, luckily, the rest of the crowd there insisted that he address the questions that I had.
The guy is slick and attempts to take both sides of whatever the issue is. He wears one face in his district and another in DC and hopes that we will all fall for it.
That being said, Anderson isn’t much better.
The only real difference between these two guys appears to be the letter behind their names.