Iranian Regime Cuts Off Internet, Phones as Protests Spiral
“Following a call to action by exiled Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi, violent protests have erupted again in several cities.”
The Iranian regime, on Thursday evening, cut off nationwide internet and phone services as people in Tehran staged massive demonstrations, heeding the call made by the country’s exile Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi. “Following a call to action by exiled Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi, violent protests have erupted again in several cities,” Germany’s Der Spiegel reported. “The regime is responding with tear gas, firearms, and internet blockades.”
IRGC opening fire on protesters in Karaj tonight.
— Emily Schrader – אמילי שריידר امیلی شریدر (@emilykschrader) January 8, 2026
Despite reports of regime forces firing at the crowds, large protests are being reported in cities across Iran. “Witnesses in the capital Tehran and major cities of Mashhad and Isfahan told Reuters that protesters gathered again in the streets on Thursday, chanting slogans against the Islamic Republic’s clerical rulers,” the news agency reported.
Millions of Iranians out across the country at the same time.
All because of a single message sent by the Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi.
This is the power of the crown 👑 pic.twitter.com/TYJeP8EUvU
— Mahyar Tousi (@MahyarTousi) January 8, 2026
Israeli media reports suggest that Elon Musk may have enabled free Starklink for Iranians to counter the internet blackout:
Channel 14 Israel:
Amid Iran’s internet shutdown, Elon Musk has quietly enabled free Starlink access for protesters, according to people familiar with the matter.
The move was implemented several days ago without a public announcement, with protest leaders informed privately.… pic.twitter.com/AEOqNSYJjA
— Open Source Intel (@Osint613) January 8, 2026
The brutal crackdown by regime forces has failed to quell the uprising. “Demonstrations reached all 31 provinces on Thursday as the protest movement, now in its 12th day, showed no signs of abating,” The Guardian reported Thursday.
The BBC reported “anti-government demonstrations and gatherings in more than 50 towns and cities across the country, including in several regions previously perceived as being highly loyal to the state.”
Tehran right now
A massive surge of people fills the streets.#IranProtests #Iran https://t.co/Bjjb5tFGzp— Masih Alinejad 🏳️ (@AlinejadMasih) January 8, 2026
The Associated Press reported the drastic measures taken by the Islamic regime:
People in Iran’s capital shouted from their homes and rallied in the street Thursday night after a call by the country’s exiled crown prince for a mass demonstration, witnesses said, a new escalation in the protests that have spread nationwide across the Islamic Republic. Internet access and telephone lines in Iran cut out immediately after the protests began.
The protest represented the first test of whether the Iranian public could be swayed by Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi, whose fatally ill father fled Iran just before the country’s 1979 Islamic Revolution. Demonstrations have included cries in support of the shah, something that could bring a death sentence in the past but now underlines the anger fueling the protests that began over Iran’s ailing economy.
Thursday saw a continuation of the demonstrations that popped up in cities and rural towns across Iran on Wednesday. More markets and bazaars shut down in support of the protesters. So far, violence around the demonstrations has killed at least 41 people while more than 2,270 others have been detained, said the U.S.-based Human Rights Activists News Agency.
The growth of the protests increases the pressure on Iran’s civilian government and its Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. CloudFlare, an internet firm, and the advocacy group NetBlocks reported the internet outage, both attributing it to Iranian government interference. Attempts to dial landlines and mobile phones from Dubai to Iran could not be connected. Such outages have in the past been followed by intense government crackdowns. (…)
Pahlavi had called for demonstrations at 8 p.m. local [11 a.m. Easter Time] on Thursday and Friday. When the clock struck, neighborhoods across Tehran erupted in chanting, witnesses said. The chants included “Death to the dictator!” and “Death to the Islamic Republic!” Others praised the shah, shouting: “This is the last battle! Pahlavi will return!” Thousands could be seen on the streets.
“Great nation of Iran, the eyes of the world are upon you. Take to the streets and, as a united front, shout your demands,” Pahlavi said in a statement. “I warn the Islamic Republic, its leader and the (Revolutionary Guard) that the world and (President Donald Trump) are closely watching you. Suppression of the people will not go unanswered.”
Pahlavi had said he would offer further plans depending on the response to his call. His support of and from Israel has drawn criticism in the past — particularly after the 12-day war Israel waged on Iran in June. Demonstrators have shouted in support of the shah in some demonstrations, but it isn’t clear whether that’s support for Pahlavi himself or a desire to return to a time before the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
The country on strike. Massive numbers on the streets. Internet cut. Mullahs seen at Moscow airport. Yet the regime still shoot at protestors. Many dead. But the people keep on coming. The courage of our fellow human beings is staggering. #IranRevolution2026
Tehran tonight ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/5XIZnQFnSI— Omid Djalili (@omid9) January 8, 2026
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.






Comments
OK, now is when we provide help. Put some Starlinks over Iran (the ones that enable cellular-to-satellite) and start posting how to sideload the app everywhere. (I’m sure there are a few folks who still have access and are on the protesters’ side.) Also, start running real spy satellites over Iran with very high resolution, aimed at the cities with protests. Are the 71s still flying? Send those over top, too. And post that imagery for the world to see.
5 hours ago
Amid Iran’s internet shutdown, Elon Musk has quietly enabled free Starlink access for protesters, according to people familiar with the matter.
The move was implemented several days ago without a public announcement, with protest leaders informed privately. Israeli businessman Dubi Francis raised the issue with Musk’s team after an inquiry from Deputy Minister Almog Cohen. Musk committed to keeping the network open at no cost while protests continue and instructed Starlink executives to block regime interference.
https://x.com/Osint613/status/200933986984444735
Yeah, I just saw that info at Insty! Woohoo!
excellent,,thanks
Thanks for sharing. It also had it in my post.
I’ve been watching a YouTube channel called Tousi TV run by an Iranian guy. He says that there is Starlink in Iran and IIRC it’s pretty widespread at least in the cities. Recommends the channel if you want to be up to date on Iran.
particularly after the 12-day war Israel waged on Iran in June
Ummmm, you mean after the Israeli 12 day response to the 1 day war Hamas/Iran waged on them, right?
Oh really is you bombs raining down for weeks as 1 day and their proxies fighting endless wars against them. Get a life you pro regime jerk. If Iranian theocracy is do awesome you better get in on it now . Peace between Israel and the real Iran is possible, thanks in part to the bold actions of Netanyahu.
WTF are you talking about?
Do you think I’m critiquing a supposed lack of “proportionality” on the part of Israel? You obviously haven’t read any of my other comments. I thought it was clear I was pushing back on the idea that Israel’s “12 days” were somehow something they instigated. It was a response to Hamas’ Oct 7 attack and follow-on attacks by Iran. I apologize if that was NOT clear.
Yes I did think that was what you were implying. Thank you for clarifying; and sorry I misunderstood.
musk to the rescue?
They could find the signal and destroy it pretty quick OR just jam it. Iran’s not the most up to date country, but they have likely done their homework on censoring their people.
possibly true
but an above post said he did make the move to get them reconnected
and if they do destroy the signal/connection..drone them
They would find it difficult to find the ground antenna of a Starlink system. The transmission skyward is not omnidirectional. You would need your own satellite or perhaps drone over the area of transmission, and be looking for transmissions in the proper band. It’s doable, but it isn’t easy.
It wouldn’t take much for a bunch of mini dishes to suddenly show up everywhere.
I want to double down on GWB’s post:
“particularly after the 12-day war Israel waged on Iran in June. “
thanks for showing your true thoughts on this
as that statement is at best ,lunacy
To be clear, that is the AP report, not the author of this post.
thanks
if this is not the authors words:
“particularly after the 12-day war Israel waged on Iran in June. “
my bad I will now take my punishment and look at a picture of whoopie goldsmith for 12 seconds
pray for me
LOL. No worries. I just didn’t want anyone assuming, and I wasn’t sure you were or not.
This is how the AP framed it. I would never put it this way.
It’s finally happening ! The world is changing for the better in so many ways ; dictatorships are falling apart. Communism will be in retreat again everywhere but here it seems where it is resurgent. Thank you Trump !
It the first time, but evil never rests unfortunately freedom lovers seem to
And predictably our Senate is going apeshit over it.
compare Musk and Soros
Musk through starlink supports democracy in Iran
Soro through his money supports anarchy and socialism and chaos in the US
And the nutjob democrats call Musk the fascist and nazi
They generally cut off communication to the outside when they’re planning on killing a lot of protesters.
Remember how the Internet was supposed to be so neat because “it interprets censorship as damage and routes around it?”
Yeah, but when the censorship is aimed at a distinct group of people, by “going around it,” the censors win.
Insanity in Tehran: Regime Cuts Internet to 80 Million, Streams Tucker Carlson on Loop
In a twist of dystopian irony, the Islamic Republic has pulled the plug on the nation’s internet and phone lines, plunging 80 million citizens into digital darkness, only to fill the void with the voice of Tucker Carlson.
https://x.com/Osint613/status/2009374052389966266
OMG! I’m dying laughing at this. Tucker Qatarlson finally found his people: the Iranian theocracy. Maybe he can give the Ayatollah a signed hat at their next Holocaust denial convention.
Too much to hope that Tucker has been playing 4D chess all this time, waiting for exactly this moment,,,