Top Adviser to Hegseth Placed on Leave in Pentagon Leak Probe

Reuters reported that Dan Caldwell, a top adviser to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, is on administrative leave due to “an authorized disclosure.”

Security officers escorted Caldwell from the Pentagon and suspended his access.

Hegseth’s chief of staff signed a memo on March 21, requesting “an investigation into ‘recent unauthorized disclosures of national security information involving sensitive communications.'”

Not much more has come out about the situation. Reuters provided more background information about Caldwell:

His importance was underscored in a leaked text chain on Signal disclosed by The Atlantic last month.In it, Hegseth named Caldwell as the best staff point of contact for the National Security Council as it prepared for the launch of strikes against the Houthis in Yemen.Caldwell had drawn attention in Washington for past views that critics have called isolationist, but which advocates said sought to right-size America’s defense priorities.A Marine Corps veteran who deployed to Iraq, Caldwell was quoted saying before going to the Pentagon that America would have been better off if U.S. troops had just stayed home.”I think the Iraq war was a monstrous crime,” Caldwell told the Financial Times in December 2024.He was also a skeptic of U.S. military assistance to Ukraine and advocated for U.S. retrenchment from Europe.

Tags: Defense Department, Pete Hegseth, Trump Administration

CLICK HERE FOR FULL VERSION OF THIS STORY