“I don’t think they appreciate or understand how harmful these cuts are going to be”
It amazes me when people protest over things like this. Do they believe protesting creates more funding?
The Nebraska Examiner reports:
University of Nebraska at Kearney faculty, students protest budget cuts
Faculty and students at the University of Nebraska at Kearney are pushing back against millions in proposed budget cuts that could lead to fewer degrees and faculty positions.
The University of Nebraska system is facing an approximate $58 million shortfall over the next two years across its campuses in Lincoln, Omaha and Kearney. UNK is estimating a $4.3 million shortfall this fiscal year.
Will Avilés, a professor of political science at UNK and president of the UNK Education Association, said administrators have proposed cutting approximately 30 faculty positions from 14 departments.
The UNK departments of Geography, Philosophy and Theater are proposed to be eliminated, Avilés said, as are the following degrees:
- Business administrative comprehensive with an emphasis in business intelligence (BS).
- Geography 7-12th grade teaching endorsement.
- Geography and GIScience (BS).
- Geography (BS/BA).
- Journalism (BS/BA).
- Modern languages with French or German emphasis (BA).
- Montessori early childhood eduction minor.
- Music comprehensive in business emphasis (BM).
- Music performance comprehensive in instrumental emphasis (BM).
- Musical theater comprehensive (BM).
- Recreation management (BS).
- Sports communication (BS/BA).
- Theater (BA).
“From the union’s perspective, we just want more public awareness and we hope awareness amongst regents that what they’re asking UNK to do is going to eliminate entire programs that have been essentially the heart of humanities as well as other parts — geography, philosophy,” Avilés told the Nebraska Examiner.
“I don’t think they appreciate or understand how harmful these cuts are going to be,” he added.
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.