A Mania Has Taken Over Week in Education
Your weekly report on education news.
Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 08:00am 2 Comments
Listen to Professor Jacobson in a recent interview.
- A “mania has taken over academia where every issue, including math, revolves around race and the patriarchy”
It’s impossible to disagree.
- Vanderbilt Prof Calls College Math a ‘White, Cisheteropatriarchal Space’
- California Education Administrator Demands Removing ‘Privileged White Voices’ From Curriculum Planning
- Hate Crime Hoax: Idaho “White Power” Graffiti Spray-Painted By Mexican Gang
Teachers at all levels are starting to notice what’s happening.
- Faculty at Hamline University Call for President’s Resignation Over Art Prof’s Muhammad Controversy
- Tables Turned: Prof. Amy Wax, Charged With Wrongthink, Files Counter-Grievance Against U Penn Law Dean
- Geology Professor Explains How Woke Policies Create Profession “Not Worthy” of His Effort
She did nothing wrong.
- Whistleblower Teacher Ramona Bessinger Targeted For Viewpoint Discrimination At Providence High School Even Before Arrived, Records Reveal
Democrats and the media are framing this so dishonestly.
- College Board Revising AP African American Studies Program Criticized by Ron DeSantis for Being Overly ‘Woke’
DEI is the new unofficial religion of higher ed.
Compare and contrast.
- New Harvard Alumni Group Fights ‘for Free Speech on Campus’
- NYU Prof Favors Censoring ‘Harmful’ Speech, Inappropriate Behavior on Social Media
Who could have predicted this?
- Some Universities Lowering Expectations, Redesigning Courses Due to Effects the Pandemic had on Students
Conservatives not welcome.
- Stanford U. Student Senate Funding School’s Matt Walsh Protesters
- Prof’s Op-Ed Claims Libs of TikTok Promotes Anti-LGBTQ Hate
This is not normal.
Oh, well that’s a relief.
Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.
Before you reach the level of ‘academia’, it starts with Red liberal anarchists like this miscreant:
Paraphrased via our friends at Powerline
Several years ago, there was a cartoon that went something like this:
A liberal college administrator tells a conservative speaker that his event is being canceled because there have been threats of violence. The conservative asks, who are the threats coming from? and the liberal administrator answers, “Us.”
This is, in fact, one of the Left’s favorite ploys to shut down conservative speech.
It happened at Florida’s New College last week. New College of Florida is a tiny, failing far-left public school that Governor DeSantis has set out to save by appointing Christopher Rufo and other conservatives to the school’s board of trustees, with a view toward making New College the “Hillsdale of the South.”
You can imagine how the college’s far-left administrators and faculty feel about that.
So Chris Rufo and other conservative trustees scheduled an open meeting at New College:
I’ll be hosting a town hall at New College this Wednesday at 1:30pm in Sainer Pavilion. The event is open to the public, including students, media, and protestors.
— Christopher F. Rufo ⚔️ (@realchrisrufo) January 23, 2023
A meeting open to all is anathema to the Left, so the inevitable death threats followed.
The Federalist has the story, via InstaPundit. The climactic moment came when New College’s Provost, Suzanne Sherman, demanded that the event be shut down and encouraged students not to attend. The excuse was a “credible” death threat against conservative trustee Eddie Speir, who of course wanted to go forward. Rufo has the tape:
Behind-the-scenes: the provost and president of New College attempted to shut down our conversation with faculty and students, citing a threat against Trustee Eddie Speir. But Speir and I insisted that we continue with the program—and establish a new standard for open discourse. pic.twitter.com/XW23nimZM9
— Christopher F. Rufo ⚔️ (@realchrisrufo) January 28, 2023
The open meeting went forward, and needless to say, no one was murdered. If an anonymous threatening email is enough to shut down any public event, then our public life will speedily grind to a halt at the hands of liberals.
Kudos to Chris Rufo and his fellow trustees, and to Ron DeSantis for appointing them.
This incident is a reminder of how little courage it actually takes to confront and defeat the forces of intolerance.