A female student from Sacred Heart University in Connecticut was sentenced to a year in jail this week for falsely accusing two male students of rape. Nikki Yovino, it was revealed, made the accusation because she was worried her consensual experience with the two football players would hurt her relationship with another student.

ABC News 7 in New York reports:

Connecticut college student gets 1 year in prison for false rape accusation

A Long Island woman who falsely accused two Sacred Heart University football players of rape was sentenced in a Connecticut court Thursday.

Nikki Yovino, of South Setauket, pleaded guilty to making up the allegations and was sentenced to three years in prison. She will only serve one year, though, with the other two suspended as part of the plea agreement.

She said she made up the allegations in 2016 because she worried her consensual encounter with the two players would damage her relationship with another student.

Yovino had initially claimed she was raped by the two students in a bathroom during an off-campus party.

Detectives believed her at first and had witness statements that seemed to corroborate her story, and it appeared the investigation was leading to charging the two students.

The accused were saved by text messages:

But then another student came forward and shed light on apparently explicit text messages between Yovino and the two male students, and one of the men had even captured part of the incident on his cell phone.

According to NBC News in Connecticut, Yovino didn’t seem to take the sentencing proceedings very seriously:

Woman Sentenced to Jail for False Rape Accusation Rolls Eyes in Court

A woman appeared to roll her eyes in court several times as she was sentenced to one year in jail for making false rape allegations against two college football players.

Twenty-year-old Nikki Yovino, who police say had a sexual encounter with two players in Connecticut and later made false rape allegations so she wouldn’t lose a potential boyfriend, was sentenced Thursday in Bridgeport Superior Court.

She pleaded guilty in June to misdemeanor charges of falsely reporting an incident and interfering with police.

In the video report below, one of the accused men states that the experience has changed his life forever. He and the other young man, were forced to leave school following the accusation:

Given that this story doesn’t fit the narrative of campus “rape culture” activists, it will be interesting to see the reaction it provokes, if any.

Featured image via YouTube.


Donations tax deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.